Cross product of two 4-Vectors

In summary, the cross product of two 4-vectors does not have a definite meaning except in 3D space. In higher dimensions, the exterior product or wedge product can be used to form a bi-vector, but this object is not another 4-vector. It has six components and can be defined using a rank-2 anti-symmetric tensor. However, it is not applicable for finding the magnetic field of a black hole, as this requires solving Maxwell's equations and choosing an observer with a 4-velocity.
Philosophaie
How do you take the cross product of two 4-Vectors?

[tex]\vec{r} = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}c*t & x & y & z \end{array} \right)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v} = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}c & vx & vy & vz \end{array} \right)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v} \times \vec{r} = ?[/tex]
[tex][/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Actually it's also well defined non-trivially for 7 dimensions.

I can do a Triple Product of xyz. I just do not know what to do with the t.

The triple product is:[tex]v \times r = \bar{x}*(vy*z-vz*y) + \bar{y}*(vz*x-vx*z) + \bar{z}*(vx*y-vy*x)[/tex]

Still not clear what you are trying to accomplish with the 4-vectors here.

Philosophaie, what your asking is how to apply an operation which is not defined for the objects you have produced. It's analogous to me asking you "how do I add two circles together?" It doesn't make any sense to ask the question.

If you give the context under which you want to ask this kind of question, we can probably identify what you actually want to do with your two vectors.

As UltrafastPED said, the vector cross product really only works in three dimensions. In four dimensions, you can form what is called the "wedge product" or "exterior product" of two four vectors, but this object will not be another four-vector. It will be a different geometric object referred to a bi-vector. This object can be defined with a rank-2 anti-symmetric tensor, and it has six components instead of just four.

I only got 6 dimensions. Check my math:
[tex]\vec{v} \times \vec{r} = 2*(v_z*c*t-c*z)*\bar{x}\bar{y}+2*(v_y*c*t-c*y)*\bar{x}\bar{z}+2*(v_x*c*t-c*x)*\bar{y}\bar{z}+2*\bar{t}*(\bar{x}*(v_x*y-y-v_y*x)+\bar{y}*(v_z*x-v_x*z)+\bar{z}*(v_x*y-v_y*x))[/tex]

Before we go any further, what are you trying to do, Philosophaie? You have a penchant for asking "XY" questions. In trying to solve problem X you run into a problem with Y. So you ask about Y. The problem is that in an "XY" question, Y is typically a dead end. The ultimate problem isn't how to solve Y. The problem is how to solve X, and you haven't told us what X is.

I am just looking for an easy way to take the cross product of two 4-vectors to find the Magnetic Field of a Black Hole.

Well that's definitely not how you would go about doing it. For one, the magnetic field is frame dependent. Secondly, you have to first find the covariant electromagnetic field tensor ##F_{ab}## by solving Maxwell's equations, which will be coupled to the metric tensor ##g_{ab}## describing the electrovacuum exterior to the black hole. Once you have ##F_{ab}## you must choose an observer with 4-velocity ##u^a## with respect to whom you can split ##F_{ab}## into the electric and magnetic field. The formulas are ##E^a = F^{a}{}{}_{b}u^b## and ##B^a = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{abcd}u_b F_{cd}## where ##\epsilon^{abcd}## is the natural volume element on space-time; ##\epsilon^{abcd}u_b## is (up to a sign) the 3-dimensional levi-civita symbol which you use to take cross products in the 3-space orthogonal to ##u^a##.

Related to Cross product of two 4-Vectors

What is the cross product of two 4-vectors?

The cross product of two 4-vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is only defined in 3-dimensional space and is used to calculate the torque or moment of a force.

How is the cross product of two 4-vectors calculated?

The cross product of two 4-vectors is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix composed of the components of the two 4-vectors. The resulting vector is the cross product.

What are the physical applications of the cross product of two 4-vectors?

The cross product of two 4-vectors has several physical applications, including calculating the torque or moment of a force, determining the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire, and analyzing the motion of a spinning object.

Can the cross product of two 4-vectors be zero?

Yes, the cross product of two 4-vectors can be zero if the two vectors are parallel or if one of the vectors has a magnitude of zero. This indicates that the two vectors are either pointing in the same direction or are perpendicular to each other.

What are some properties of the cross product of two 4-vectors?

Some properties of the cross product of two 4-vectors include being non-commutative, distributive, and following the right-hand rule. It also has a magnitude equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.