Cross Product Help - Find Magnitude of Last Two Products

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the correct angle for the last two cross products in order to determine the magnitude. Vector A has a magnitude of 8 along the positive x axis, Vector B has a magnitude of 6 and runs parallel to the y-axis, and Vector C connects the head of Vector B to the tail of Vector A, creating a 45-45-90 right triangle. The conversation also mentions the importance of using relevant equations and showing an attempt at a solution in order to improve problem-solving skills.
Jrlinton
cross product.PNG
The first part of the problem was easy enough as was finding the directions of the other two, but I am having trouble finding the correct angle for the last two cross products in order to find the magnitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Jr, :welcome:

Please don't delete parts of the template. You need them, see guidelines

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In your case number 2 in particular. What do you know of the angle you need ? And what do you need for the cross product ?

I have given all information that was provided. Vector A has a magniude of 8 along the positive x axis, Vector B starts at the end of vector A running parallel to the y-axis and a magnitude of 6, Vector C connects the head of Vector B to the tail of Vector A. Basicly a 45-45-90 right triangle is created by the vectors.

I know you have. But I can't see what you have done so far and why you think you are stuck now. So please show which relevant equation you are trying to apply and show your attempt at solution. I want to help you find the right next step yourself -- the answer is after all not important; it's your ability to do the exercise yourself that we want to achieve ...

And the 3 4 5 Pythagorean triangle is definitely not a 45 45 90 !

Related to Cross Product Help - Find Magnitude of Last Two Products

1. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is also known as a vector product.

2. How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you first need to find the determinant of a matrix made up of the two vectors. Then, you can use the components of the matrix to find the components of the resulting vector. The formula for the cross product is:
|i j k|
|a1 a2 a3|
|b1 b2 b3|
= (a2b3 - a3b2)i - (a1b3 - a3b1)j + (a1b2 - a2b1)k

3. What is the magnitude of a cross product?

The magnitude of a cross product is the length of the resulting vector. It can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of the vector.

4. How do you find the magnitude of the last two products in a cross product?

To find the magnitude of the last two products in a cross product, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Take the square root of the sum of the squares of the last two products (components with i and j) to get the magnitude.

5. Why is it important to find the magnitude of the last two products in a cross product?

Finding the magnitude of the last two products in a cross product is important because it gives us information about the direction and magnitude of the resulting vector. It can also be used to determine the angle between the two original vectors. Additionally, the magnitude can help us solve problems in physics and engineering, where the direction and magnitude of a force or velocity are important.