Cross Product Angle: 0 to π or ACW from a to b?

In summary, the angle between two vectors while computing the cross product can be measured in either a positive or negative sense, depending on the book or source. However, the most common convention is to use the smaller angle and follow the right hand rule to establish direction.
PFuser1232
When we talk about the angle between two vectors while computing the cross product, which angle are we referring to exactly? According to most sources, the angle should be between 0 and π; yet according to my math book, "the angle is measured in an anticlockwise sense from a to b, if the vector product a x b is to be computed."

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MohammedRady97 said:
When we talk about the angle between two vectors while computing the cross product, which angle are we referring to exactly? According to most sources, the angle should be between 0 and π; yet according to my math book, "the angle is measured in an anticlockwise sense from a to b, if the vector product a x b is to be computed."

How about this:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/vectors-cross-product.html

Scroll down a ways to see the diagram of the angle.

The trigonometric function occurring in the cross product is sine. Notice that sin(360-x)=sin(-x)=-sin(x) so notice that the only thing that changes whether you measure the small angle or the big angle is that you change the sign. For that issue, just follow the right hand rule. :)

So I should use the smaller angle, and use the right hand rule, right?
I don't understand why my math book had to specify the "orientation" of the angle.

$$a\times b=-b\times a$$

Some books like yours allow the angle to be positive or negative. Other books use only positive angles and use the right hand rule to establish direction.

Related to Cross Product Angle: 0 to π or ACW from a to b?

1. What is a cross product angle?

A cross product angle is the angle formed between two vectors when they are multiplied using the cross product formula. It represents the direction of the resulting vector perpendicular to both vectors.

2. What does a cross product angle of 0 to π or ACW from a to b indicate?

A cross product angle of 0 to π or anti-clockwise (ACW) from vector a to vector b indicates that the two vectors are pointing in the same direction, or are parallel to each other. The resulting vector is perpendicular to both vectors.

3. How is the direction of the resulting vector determined for a cross product angle of 0 to π or ACW from a to b?

The direction of the resulting vector is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand are curled in the direction of vector a and then rotated towards vector b, your thumb will point in the direction of the resulting vector.

4. Can a cross product angle be negative?

No, a cross product angle cannot be negative. It is always measured in the range of 0 to π or 0 to 180 degrees. A negative value would indicate a clockwise direction, which is not possible in this scenario.

5. What is the importance of understanding cross product angles in science?

Cross product angles are important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to determine the direction of forces, magnetic fields, and electric fields, among other applications. Understanding cross product angles can also help in visualizing and solving complex problems involving vectors and their interactions.