Criticize diagram of delayed choice quantum eraser

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a simplified diagram for the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment, which involves an entangled pair of photons emerging from slits and traveling in opposite directions. The main concerns are whether the diagram is confusing and if any crucial information has been omitted. It is noted that the diagram does not include lenses, which may lead to confusion, but the essence of the experiment is still present. It is suggested to add a visual representation of the photon's emergence from the slits to clarify the concept. The updated diagram can be found in the context of the overall experiment.
Strilanc
Science Advisor
I'm trying to create a simplified diagram of the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment (contrast with the confusing one on Wikipedia and the simplified one on some random site). Here's what I have so far:

V1oRDj7.png

Context that goes with the diagram: it is understood that an entangled pair of photons emerges from the top slit, the bottom slit, or a superposition thereof. One photon goes left while its entangled partner goes right.

I mainly want to know (a) if the diagram is confusing, and (b) if an oversimplification has removed crucial information that needs to be clarified or called out. For example, in the actual experiment the photons don't really go in opposite directions. Also the diagram omits any lenses. Is that confusing? Misleading? Is the essence still there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think people will wonder why the idler photons going left are traveling at a non-right angle to the screen, and what that implies for the signal photon heading right.
That's the price that is paid for omitting the prisms and mirrors in the original Kim diagram ( or which the wiki version is a reasonable representation).

Likes bhobba
andrewkirk said:
I think people will wonder why the idler photons going left are traveling at a non-right angle to the screen, and what that implies for the signal photon heading right.
That's the price that is paid for omitting the prisms and mirrors in the original Kim diagram ( or which the wiki version is a reasonable representation).

That's a good point. (Though I'm surprised you focused on that instead of the mystery of why one side is spherical waves while the other is straight paths.)

I was thinking of putting a yellow spark-flicker-bang over the slits, to show that's where the photons are emerging from. That might help. It would obscure the orientation of the slits (so "why not perpendicular?" might not occur as a thought in the first place), and could help indicate that something non-trivial is happening.

Here is an updated version:

nMxtX8i.png

And:

xJD9dGh.png

Likes zonde

Related to Criticize diagram of delayed choice quantum eraser

What is a delayed choice quantum eraser?

A delayed choice quantum eraser is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that explores the concept of wave-particle duality. It involves a setup where a particle behaves as both a wave and a particle at the same time. The experiment also involves the concept of entanglement, where two particles can be connected and affect each other's behavior even when separated by large distances.

What is the purpose of a delayed choice quantum eraser?

The purpose of a delayed choice quantum eraser is to demonstrate the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level. It challenges our understanding of classical physics and highlights the peculiarities of the quantum world, such as the ability for particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously.

How does a delayed choice quantum eraser work?

A delayed choice quantum eraser involves a setup where a particle is sent through a double-slit and then detected by a screen. The particle can behave as both a wave and a particle, creating an interference pattern on the screen. However, by introducing a second detector that can monitor which slit the particle goes through, the interference pattern disappears. This shows that the act of observation or measurement can affect the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What is the significance of a delayed choice quantum eraser?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality. It challenges the idea that the universe is deterministic and shows that the observer plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles. It also raises questions about the nature of time and whether the past can be changed based on present actions.

How does the delayed choice quantum eraser relate to the concept of time travel?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment has been linked to the concept of time travel because it shows that the present can affect the past. At the quantum level, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and their behavior can be influenced by future actions. This raises questions about whether time can be manipulated and whether the past is fixed or malleable.