Critically Damped Oscillator Spring Constant and Damping Parameter

In summary, when the mass drops from a height of 10.0 m onto a platform with negligible mass, it is desired to design a spring and damper so that the platform settles to a new equilibrium position as quickly as possible without overshooting. Find the spring constant k and the damping parameter imate if the system is critically dampened.
JordanGo

Homework Statement

A mass of 1000 kg drops from a height of 10.0 m onto a platform of negligible mass.
It is desired to design a spring and damper on which to mount the platform so that it
will settle to a new equilibrium position 2.00 m below its original position as quickly
as possible without overshooting.
Find the spring constant k and the damping parameter
if the system is critically
damped.

Homework Equations

ω^2(frequency squared)=γ^2(damping parameter squared)
E=U=mgh at equilibrium
E=1/2kA^2
x(t)=(A1+A2t)e^(-γt)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I solved for energy:
E=U=mgh=19400

Then for the spring constant:
k=2E/A^2

But now I need amplitude, so this is where I taking a shot in the dark:

x(t)=(A1+A2t)e^(-γt)
Now I was thinking to say that if t goes to infinity, x is 2, but it gave me no information... I need help! please and thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Realize that there is no actual "equlibrium" position. That position is realized only after infinite time has passed.

2. The moment the mass hits the platform, you have a classical mass-spring-damper situation with an initial velocity x'(0+) easily determined from energy conservation. Just solve the 2nd order diff. eq. mx'' + kx + cx' = 0. When you do, you'll look for the solution for which c/m, where c is the damping coefficient, yields barely two real roots for the attendant algebraic equation. k, the spring constant, is easily derived form the 2m criterion.

By 'barely' I mean just avoiding a complex-conjugate solution of your algebraic equation, which implies oscillatory behavior. So your time constants will be as short as possible without incurring oscillations.

Ok then, well I am having problems with the DE since we have two unknowns, the spring constant k and the damping parameter...

Think about it for a second. When the system is at rest, the spring supports 1000 kg at a depth of 2m. So what's k?

I want to use F=-mg=-kx, yes?

Last edited:
JordanGo said:
I want to use F=-mg=-kx, yes?

Right! So what is your number for k?

ok so k=4900, thus damping parameter is 2.21, and the final equation is:
x(t)=(10+22.1t)exp(-2.21t)
Right?

Right! But you didn't even need to solve the whole equation.

If you write the equation in the standard form mx'' + nx' + p2x = 0 then
critical damping → n = p

But p = √(k/m) = 2.21 = n so that's all you were asked to do. (Assuming the instructor meant "n" as the "damping parameter", which he apparently did.)

(I plead guilty to not solving the whole equation like you did. I never do what's not necessary!).

Haha Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

Related to Critically Damped Oscillator Spring Constant and Damping Parameter

What is a critically damped oscillator?

A critically damped oscillator is a type of system that is neither underdamped nor overdamped. It is characterized by a quick return to equilibrium without any oscillations or overshooting.

What is the spring constant of a critically damped oscillator?

The spring constant of a critically damped oscillator is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, and it determines the rate at which the system returns to equilibrium.

What is the damping parameter of a critically damped oscillator?

The damping parameter, also known as the damping coefficient, is a measure of the resistance to motion in a critically damped oscillator. It is responsible for slowing down the movement of the system and preventing oscillations.

How is the spring constant related to the damping parameter?

The spring constant and damping parameter are inversely related in a critically damped oscillator. This means that as the spring constant increases, the damping parameter decreases, and vice versa.

What happens if the spring constant or damping parameter is not at the critical value in a critically damped oscillator?

If the spring constant is too low or the damping parameter is too high, the system will be underdamped, leading to oscillations and slower return to equilibrium. On the other hand, if the spring constant is too high or the damping parameter is too low, the system will be overdamped, resulting in a slow and gradual return to equilibrium without any oscillations.