Critically damped oscillator: Classical mechanics help

In summary, the question relates to finding the maximum initial speed of a critically damped oscillator with a given natural frequency and initial position, without crossing the origin. The solution involves deriving the position and velocity equations, solving for the initial velocity, and taking the limit of the velocity as time approaches infinity to find the maximum initial speed.
Theorem.

Homework Statement

A critically damped oscillator with natural frequency [tex]\omega[/tex] starts out at position [tex]x_0>0[/tex]. What is the maximum initial speed (directed towards the origin) it can have and not cross the origin?

Homework Equations

For the case of critical damping,
[tex]x(t)=e^{(-\gammat)}(A+Bt) where \gamma=\omega=\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well first I derived the above equation (and verified it with my textbook). I then evaluated the initial position:
[tex]x(0)=A[/tex].
I then took the derivative of the position function to get velocity:
[tex]v(t)=(e^{-\gamma t}) ( B-Bt\gamma -A\gamma)[/tex]
Setting t=0 I obtained
[tex]v(0)=B-A\gamma[/tex] recalling that x0=A, [tex]v(0)= B-x_0\gamma[/tex]. I then solved for Beta: [tex] B=v_0 +\gamma x_0. [/tex]
I then tried substituting this back into the position equation, and solving for the initial velocity, the program is there is always time dependency that i can't get rid of... what am i doing wrong? any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
umm its supposed to be e-tgamma(B-Bt(gamma)-A(gamma)) for the velocity and v(0)=B-A(gamma)=B-x_0(gamma) for the initial velocity
and x(t)=e-tgamma(A+Bt) for the position but for some reason I all the sudden fail at latex

I think I solved it... you're on the right track. Solve for x(t) in terms of gamma, w, Xo and Vo, then make x(t)=0 and solve for Vo. Next, derive V(t) by taking dx/dt (remember to include initial conditions!). Take the limit as t goes to inf of V(t), and substitute terms so that you're left with w and Xo, and you should get Vmax.

Related to Critically damped oscillator: Classical mechanics help

1. What is a critically damped oscillator?

A critically damped oscillator is a type of mechanical system that experiences a rapid decay in oscillations without any oscillation overshoot or ringing. It is considered the ideal case for damping, where the system returns to equilibrium in the shortest amount of time without any oscillations.

2. How is the motion of a critically damped oscillator described?

The motion of a critically damped oscillator is described by a decaying exponential function, where the amplitude of oscillation decreases over time. The rate of decay is determined by the damping coefficient and the natural frequency of the system.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a critically damped oscillator?

The behavior of a critically damped oscillator is affected by the damping coefficient, the natural frequency of the system, and the initial conditions (such as the initial position and velocity of the oscillator).

4. How does a critically damped oscillator differ from an overdamped or underdamped oscillator?

An overdamped oscillator has a higher damping coefficient than a critically damped oscillator, resulting in a slower decay in oscillations. An underdamped oscillator has a lower damping coefficient, causing oscillations to linger before decaying. In contrast, a critically damped oscillator experiences the fastest decay without any oscillations.

5. What are some real-life examples of critically damped oscillators?

Critically damped oscillators can be found in various mechanical systems, such as car shock absorbers, door closers, and piano dampers. They are also used in electrical circuits, such as in the design of power supplies and voltage regulators.