Critically damped current in this network

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the type of damping in an electrical network using Kirchoff's laws and converting given values to SI units. The correct answer is found to be critically damped by plugging in the values for R, L, and C. The concept of undamped circuits is also briefly discussed.
EEZeroo

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to find whether the current in the following network is

a) under-damped
b) critically damped
c) undamped
c) over-damped

69a41e90b3645d9e7114cb87b7e00ab2.png

Homework Equations

According to Kirchoff's laws
c14ee8367ddccabff780a7275dd9f322.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer given by my professor for this question is supposed to be "b) critically damped" so I just converted the given values into SI values
R = 1kilo-ohm = 1000 ohm
L = 10mH = 0,01H
C = 40nF = 4 * 10^(-8)

and then I tried relating them to

3e2c036273361ac3e5a5bc528b59cc44.png

But I do not find two real roots that are equal for it to be critically damped.

What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Critical damping will occur when [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]-4[itex]\omega^{2}_{o}[/itex]=0. Another way to write it is: R=sqrt(4*L/C). If you plug in your values for R, L and C, you'll find that it is indeed critically damped.

Thank you. I see that my silly mistake was that I substracted the 10 instead of leaving it homogenous.

Though, when exactly is a circuit undamped? I know when it's critically, overdamped or underdamped but when would it be undamped?

If there's a resistor, there will always be energy lost, hence the damping.
An LC circuit (no resistor) will oscillate without damping.

As a scientist, it is important to critically analyze your calculations and assumptions when faced with a discrepancy in your results. In this case, it seems that you may have made a mistake in your conversion of the given values into SI units. Let's take a closer look at your calculations to see if we can identify the error.

Firstly, your conversion of 1 kilo-ohm to 1000 ohm is correct. However, your conversion of 10mH to 0.01H is incorrect. The correct conversion would be 10mH = 0.01H = 10 * 10^(-3)H. Similarly, your conversion of 40nF to 4 * 10^(-8)F is also incorrect. The correct conversion would be 40nF = 4 * 10^(-8)F = 40 * 10^(-9)F.

Now, let's plug in the correct values into the equation for the critically damped condition:

Δ = R^2 - 4L/C

= (1000)^2 - 4*(0.01)*(40*10^(-9))

= 1000000 - 4*(0.0004)

= 1000000 - 0.0016

= 999999.9984

As you can see, the value of Δ is very close to zero, but not exactly zero. This could be due to rounding errors in your calculations or the given values themselves. However, it is important to note that for a system to be critically damped, the value of Δ must be exactly zero. Therefore, it is possible that your professor may have made a mistake in their answer or the given values may not actually lead to a critically damped system.

As a scientist, it is important to always double-check your calculations and assumptions and to not blindly accept given answers. In this case, it may be beneficial to discuss your findings with your professor and see if they can provide further clarification. Additionally, you could also try to solve the problem using different methods or formulas to see if you arrive at the same result.

Related to Critically damped current in this network

1. What is critically damped current?

Critically damped current refers to the type of current flow in an electrical network where the damping factor is equal to the critical value. This means that the current reaches equilibrium in the shortest amount of time without any oscillations or overshoot.

2. How is critically damped current different from overdamped and underdamped current?

In overdamped current, the damping factor is greater than the critical value, causing the current to take longer to reach equilibrium and have a slower response to changes. In underdamped current, the damping factor is less than the critical value, resulting in oscillations and overshoot before reaching equilibrium.

3. What factors affect the critically damped current in a network?

The resistance, inductance, and capacitance of the network components all play a role in determining the damping factor and thus the type of current flow. Additionally, the voltage source and initial conditions also impact the critically damped current.

4. How is critically damped current calculated in a network?

The damping factor can be calculated as the ratio of the resistance over twice the square root of the inductance multiplied by the capacitance. This value can then be compared to the critical value of 1 to determine the type of current flow.

5. What are some real-world applications of critically damped current?

Critically damped current is often utilized in electrical circuits to ensure a quick and stable response to changes in voltage or current. It is commonly used in power supplies, audio amplifiers, and electronic filters to prevent oscillations and overshoot.