Critical points for difficult function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of relative maxima and minima on the interval (1,10) for a given derivative function. The speaker initially tries to solve analytically but resorts to using the intermediate value theorem and handwaving to argue that there must be 2 minima and 1 maximum on the interval. The other person suggests taking the complete derivative and setting it equal to zero, but the first speaker is stuck on solving the resulting expression. They consider using a Maclaurin series but are unsatisfied with the lack of an analytic solution. The conversation ends with the suggestion of plotting the functions to determine the number of extrema.
Robin64
Given that f'(x)=[(8cos(x)/(x2)-(⅛)], find the number of relative maxima and minima on the interval (1,10). Finding maxima and minima analytically wasn't fruitful for me, so instead I used a bit of handwaving. First I argued, using the intermediate value theorem, since f'(1)>f'(10), there exists at least one maximum or minimum. Then I said, well, the derivative is approximately equal to 8cos(x)/x2 and since cos(x) has 2 minima and one maximum on the interval (1,10), then f(x) must have 2 minima and one maximum on that same interval.

Is there way to solve this without that handwaving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Robin64 said:
Is there way to solve this without that handwaving?
Take the complete derivative and work it out ?

BvU said:
Take the complete derivative and work it out ?
The derivative is the expression in the problem. Setting the derivative equal to zero results in 64cos(x)-x2=0. I don't see the way forward to solving that expression.

$$ f' (x) = 0 \Leftrightarrow ( 8 \sqrt{\cos x} + x )( 8 \sqrt{\cos x} - x ) = 0 \quad ? $$
[edit] Limits the search for extrema to ## [1, {5\over 2} \pi] = [1, u]## with ##u < 8##

Last edited:
Yep, I got that. That's where I'm stuck, solving 8sqrt(cos(x)+/-x=0. I thought about expressing sqrt(cos(x)) as the first few terms of a Maclaurin series but that's less than exact or elegant.

Exactness isn't required if you only need the number of extrema. A simultaneous plot of ##\cos x## and ##x^2/64## does the trick...

I know. I was just unsatisfied with not being able to find an analytic solution.

Related to Critical points for difficult function

What is a critical point for a difficult function?

A critical point for a difficult function is a point at which the function's derivative is equal to zero or undefined. It is a key point in the function that can help us understand its behavior and make predictions about its values.

How do you find critical points for a difficult function?

To find critical points for a difficult function, we take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, we solve for the variable to find the x-values of the critical points. We can also use the second derivative test to determine if these points are local maxima, minima, or points of inflection.

Why are critical points important for understanding difficult functions?

Critical points are important because they give us information about the behavior of a difficult function. They can help us locate local maxima and minima, which can be useful in optimization problems. They also give us insight into the concavity and inflection points of a function.

Can we have more than one critical point for a difficult function?

Yes, a difficult function can have multiple critical points. These points can be real or complex, and they can represent local maxima, minima, or points of inflection. It is important to consider all critical points when analyzing a function's behavior.

Are there any special techniques for finding critical points of difficult functions?

Yes, there are some techniques that can make finding critical points for difficult functions easier. These include using the quotient rule or the chain rule for derivatives, and using the Mean Value Theorem to determine if a function has a critical point between two given points. Additionally, graphing the function can help identify potential critical points.