Critical points and of polynomial functions

In summary: L*W = area in sq feet, which is 125000.But the variables, $20 and $10 per square foot of fence, don't seem relevant.I don't see how I can get a perimeter from area=125000 and the price per foot of fence.I do appreciate help with this.In summary, the perimeter of the fence was $20 per foot on the front and back, and $10 per foot on the sides. The cost of the fence was minimized by using a region of 125,000 sq ft that had a width of only 10 ft.
cptstubing
Member warned about posting with no effort

Homework Statement

A rectangular region of 125,000 sq ft is fenced off. A type of fencing costing $20 per foot was used along the back and front of the region. A fence costing $10 per foot was used for the other sides. What were the dimensions of the region that minimized the cost of the fence?

Homework Equations

A=l*w

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't a clue where to begin with this. What should I be thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
cptstubing said:

Homework Statement

A rectangular region of 125,000 sq ft is fenced off. A type of fencing costing $20 per foot was used along the back and front of the region. A fence costing $10 per foot was used for the other sides. What were the dimensions of the region that minimized the cost of the fence?

Homework Equations

A=l*w

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't a clue where to begin with this. What should I be thinking?
Perimeter.

Think Perimeter.

SammyS said:
Perimeter.

Think Perimeter.

I know this question should eventually look like a regular function like the practice questions I've been doing for ages, but I'm failing to see how I get there.

cptstubing said:
I know this question should eventually look like a regular function like the practice questions I've been doing for ages, but I'm failing to see how I get there.
What's the perimeter of a rectangle?

You have two dimensions to work with, length and width.

SteamKing said:
What's the perimeter of a rectangle?

You have two dimensions to work with, length and width.

L*W = area in sq feet, which is 125000.
But the variables, $20 and $10 per square foot of fence, don't seem relevant.
I don't see how I can get a perimeter from area=125000 and the price per foot of fence.
I do appreciate help with this.

cptstubing said:
I don't see how I can get a perimeter from area=125000 and the price per foot of fence.

For right now, forget about the area of the rectangle. That comes later.

If you have a rectangle, any rectangle, with a length L and a width W, what is the formula for the perimeter of this shape?

SteamKing said:
For right now, forget about the area of the rectangle. That comes later.

If you have a rectangle, any rectangle, with a length L and a width W, what is the formula for the perimeter of this shape?

Perimeter would be (L*2)+(W*2)

cptstubing said:

When you write L*W, what do you mean? What is L? What is W? So, if you did know L and W, what other aspects of the fencing could you compute using those values?

Ray Vickson said:
When you write L*W, what do you mean? What is L? What is W? So, if you did know L and W, what other aspects of the fencing could you compute using those values?

L*W means Area, or 125000. Length * Width. If I knew the two variables, I'd know the perimeter.

cptstubing said:
L*W means Area, or 125000. Length * Width. If I knew the two variables, I'd know the perimeter.
You know the two variables -- L and W. You just don't happen to know their values. Even so, you should be able to write one expression that represents the perimeter of the fence, and another that represents the cost of that fence.

Mark44 said:
You know the two variables -- L and W. You just don't happen to know their values. Even so, you should be able to write one expression that represents the perimeter of the fence, and another that represents the cost of that fence.

P=(L*2)+(W*2)
Cost =(L*2*10)+(W*2*20)
I don't know if this is correct. What is I need to know before I can do this? A process or something?

cptstubing said:
P=(L*2)+(W*2)
Cost =(L*2*10)+(W*2*20)
I don't know if this is correct.
That's a good start.

cptstubing said:
What is I need to know before I can do this? A process or something?
Forget process -- what you need to do is think about this problem.

You have another equation that involves the known area. Use it to solve for one of the variables in terms of the other. Then you can replace a variable in your cost equation, turning it into a function of a single variable.

cptstubing said:
That's $20 and $10 per foot. It's not per square foot .

cptstubing said:
P=(L*2)+(W*2)
Cost =(L*2*10)+(W*2*20)
I don't know if this is correct. What is I need to know before I can do this? A process or something?

The farmer does not care about the perimeter; he just cares about the cost of fencing and the area enclosed. You know (that is, have expressions for) both of these in terms of L and W, so you are close to done. Can you see what to do next?

Related to Critical points and of polynomial functions

1. What is a critical point of a polynomial function?

A critical point of a polynomial function is a point where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. It can also be defined as a point where the slope of the function changes from positive to negative or vice versa.

2. How can I determine the critical points of a polynomial function?

To determine the critical points of a polynomial function, you need to find the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Solve for the values of x that satisfy this equation to identify the critical points.

3. What is the significance of critical points in polynomial functions?

Critical points are important in polynomial functions because they can help us identify the location of local extrema (maximum or minimum points) on the graph of the function. They can also tell us about the behavior of the function and its concavity.

4. Can a polynomial function have multiple critical points?

Yes, it is possible for a polynomial function to have multiple critical points. This can happen when the function has multiple terms or when it has a high degree. Each critical point can represent a change in the slope of the function.

5. How can I use critical points to graph a polynomial function?

To graph a polynomial function using critical points, you can plot the critical points on the graph and use them to determine the behavior of the function in between. You can also use the critical points to help you sketch the general shape of the curve and identify any local extrema.