Critical mass of 235U and 239 Pu

In summary, the critical mass of 235U and 239Pu is determined by the number of neutrons produced per fission and their lifetimes. 239Pu has a smaller critical mass because it produces more neutrons on average per fission and has a longer neutron lifetime. However, the cross-section of fission for 235U decreases for higher neutron energies, making the answer dependent on neutron energies.
trv

Homework Statement

Which of the two nuclides 235U and 239Pu has a smaller critical mass and why

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm thinking 239Pu since it produces more neutrons on average per fission. Would that be correct? Are there any other reasons I can add?

Physics news on Phys.org
What has to happen to the neutrons that are produced?

Hmmm cause more fissions? Ok so their lifetimes should matter too, as the longer neutrinos last the more fissions that could potentially cause. But should this be different for the two cases?

Or are you more leading me towards the respective cross-sections? As far as I know, in 235U fission can be induced even by a 0 energy neutron while high energy neutrons are needed for Pu. But then again, cross-section of fission falls for 235U for higher neutron energies. So the answer would depend on the neutron energies. :S.

trv said:
Or are you more leading me towards the respective cross-sections? ...so the answer would depend on the neutron energies. :S.
Yes .

Related to Critical mass of 235U and 239 Pu

1. What is the critical mass of 235U and 239Pu?

The critical mass of 235U and 239Pu refers to the minimum amount of these isotopes needed to sustain a chain reaction in a nuclear reactor. It is typically measured in kilograms and varies depending on the type of reactor and its design.

2. Why is the critical mass of 235U and 239Pu important?

The critical mass is important because it determines whether a nuclear reaction can be self-sustaining. If the amount of 235U or 239Pu used is below the critical mass, the reaction will not continue and no energy will be produced.

3. How is the critical mass of 235U and 239Pu calculated?

The critical mass of 235U and 239Pu is calculated using mathematical models and simulations, taking into account factors such as the shape and composition of the reactor, the amount of neutron moderators and reflectors, and the presence of other isotopes.

4. Can the critical mass of 235U and 239Pu be changed?

Yes, the critical mass can be changed by altering the design and components of the reactor. For example, using more neutron moderators can decrease the critical mass, while using less can increase it. The critical mass can also be affected by the purity and enrichment level of the isotopes used.

5. What happens if the critical mass of 235U and 239Pu is exceeded?

If the critical mass is exceeded, an uncontrolled nuclear chain reaction can occur, leading to a nuclear meltdown and release of dangerous levels of radiation. This is why strict safety protocols and regulations are in place to prevent the critical mass from being exceeded in nuclear power plants.