Creation of sequence 1, 12, 123,

In summary, the programmer was trying to create a program that would list the sequence 1, 12, 123, 1234, 12345, ..., with user input specifying how many terms should be displayed. The code is incorrect, and the writer includes it so that someone can help.
PainterGuy
Hello everyone, :smile:

I was working to create a program to list the sequence:

The user will decides how many terms of sequence are displayed. For example the terms, n, given above are five. Will you help me please? I think I need to use the FOR loop here. Given below are some random steps I put down. My math is weak.

second term - first term = 11
third term - second term = 111
fourth term - third term = 1111

The code written below is wrong. I have included it so that you can help.:wink:

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

int main()

{

int n, i;

cout << "How many terms are required?: ";
 	cin >> n;

cout << " " << endl;

for ( i=1; i<=n; i =i+(pow(10,i)))

{

cout << i << endl;

}

}

Cheers

Technology news on Phys.org
PainterGuy said:
Hello everyone, :smile:

I was working to create a program to list the sequence:

The user will decides how many terms of sequence are displayed. For example the terms, n, given above are five. Will you help me please? I think I need to use the FOR loop here. Given below are some random steps I put down. My math is weak.

second term - first term = 11
third term - second term = 111
fourth term - third term = 1111

The code written below is wrong. I have included it so that you can help.:wink:

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

int main()

{

int n, i;

cin >> n;

cout << " " << endl;

for ( i=1; i<=n; i =i+(pow(10,i)))

{

cout << i << endl;

}

}

Cheers

Hey painterguy. Just a question: Why do you have i=i + (pow(10,i))? If you want to print the terms 1234... just increment that loop by 1 (ie i=i+1 or i++).

Also if you want to do that repeat like you have done like print

for n = 4 (or any n) you need another loop. So in your outer loop you will go from 1 to n (call it x) and in your inner loop you will go from 1 to x.

Just out curiosity so I know your thought process, why did you use the pow statement? I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious about your thought process.

Your method will work, but you need another variable to hold the intermediate sum (1, 11, 111, 1111, ...), and yet another to hold the total sum, and only use i as an incremental number. Also you need to start at 0, not 1 (pow(10,0) == 1), so that would be for(i=0; i<n; i++) ... You could use j to hold the intermediate sum, and k to hold the total sum.

Note, a simpler alternative method would be to repeatedly multiply a number by 10 and add i in each loop.

Last edited:
Hello chiro, rcgldr,

I am very much thankful to you both for your replies. The problem was solved but I have been little lazy in extending my thanks. :) Actually I was away.

Cheers

I would like to offer some suggestions for improving your program and understanding of the sequence. First, it's important to clarify the pattern in the sequence. The first term is simply 1, the second term is 1 followed by 2, the third term is 1 followed by 2 followed by 3, and so on. This can be written as 1, 12, 123, 1234, 12345, and so on.

Based on this pattern, we can use a FOR loop to print out the sequence. Here's an example code:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
int n;

cin >> n;

cout << " " << endl;

// Loop through each term
for (int i = 1; i <= n; i++) {

// Loop through each number in the term
for (int j = 1; j <= i; j++) {
cout << j;
}

// Print a new line after each term is complete
cout << endl;
}

return 0;
}

This code uses nested FOR loops to print out each term in the sequence. The outer loop controls the number of terms, while the inner loop prints out the numbers in each term.

I would also suggest using more meaningful variable names, such as "term" instead of "i" and "number" instead of "j". This will make your code easier to read and understand.

I hope this helps you with your program. Keep exploring and learning!

Related to Creation of sequence 1, 12, 123,

What is the pattern for the sequence 1, 12, 123, ...?

The pattern for this sequence is adding one more digit to the previous number. So the next number in the sequence would be 1234.

What is the next number in the sequence 1, 12, 123, ...?

The next number in the sequence would be 1234.

What is the formula for generating the numbers in this sequence?

The formula for this sequence is n * 10 + (n+1), where n is the previous number in the sequence.

Is there a limit to how many numbers can be generated in this sequence?

No, there is no limit to the number of numbers that can be generated in this sequence. It can go on infinitely.

What is the significance of this sequence in mathematics or science?

This sequence is called a "self-describing" sequence because the numbers themselves describe the pattern for generating the next number. It is also related to the concept of triangular numbers in mathematics.