Seemingly easy physics problem

• Thread starter Theelectricchild
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the horizontal reaction forces exerted by the top and bottom hinges on the door are equal and opposite. The door is in equilibrium when the sum of the forces in the y- and x-directions is zero.
Theelectricchild
A door, 2.30m high and 1.30m wide, has a mass of 13.0kg. A hinge 0.40m from the top and another hinge 0.40m from the bottom support half the doors weight. Assume the CM is at the geometrical centre of the door, and determine the horizontal and vertical force components exerted by each hinge on the door.

The trick with the horizontal forces...

think of breaking the bottom hinge, and there is no door frame. Which way would the bottom of the door swing? to the right, if you use the picture. If you break the top hinge but leave the bottom one in tact, then the top of the door would swing to the left. This means the x-force for the bottom points to the left and the x-force for the top points to the right...and they must be equal since the door doesn't swing at all. Use net force to analyze that.

How can i go from here?

This problem is giving me a hard time for some reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the fact that the door is in equilibrium to write equations that will allow you to find the forces in question. Here Are the labels I will use:

W = mg = weight of door
Fxu = horizontal reaction force exerted by upper hinge on door
Fxl = horizontal reaction force exerted by lower hinge on door
Fyu = vertical reaction force exerted by upper hinge on door
Fyl = vertical reaction force exerted by lower hinge on door
d = distance between the two hinges = 2.3 - .4 - .4
r = half the width of the door = 1.3/2

First consider all of the forces in the y-direction:

You are given that Fyu = Fyl = W/2, which fits with the sum of forces in the y-direction equalling 0:

[tex] \Sigma F_y = 0 = F_{yu} + F_{yl} - W [/tex]

Now the forces in the x direction:

[tex] \Sigma F_x = 0 = F_{xu} + F_{xl} [/tex]

(these two forces are assumed to be in the same direction; obviously they are actually equal in magnitude and opposite in direction which is borne out by the math)

Now the moments about a selected point; let's pick the bottom hinge:

[tex] \Sigma \tau_{l} = 0 = -F_{xu}d + Wr [/tex]

(I'm using a right-handed coordinate system and in my picture, the hinges are on the right-hand side of the door, as implied by your description of breaking hinges. Be sure to work everything out for yourself and keep your signs straight.)

Hopefully, I didn't make any mistakes and you can follow that setup to the answer. Let me know if anything is unclear.

Ack that torque equation was surprisingly tricky but it all makes sense. Thank you so much james.

1. What makes a physics problem seemingly easy?

A physics problem can appear easy because it involves familiar concepts or simple math equations. However, there may be underlying complexities or multiple steps required to solve the problem correctly.

2. Why do students struggle with seemingly easy physics problems?

Students may struggle with seemingly easy physics problems because they lack a deep understanding of the underlying concepts or are not familiar with the necessary equations. They may also make careless mistakes or overlook important details.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for seemingly easy physics problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for seemingly easy physics problems, it is important to have a strong grasp of the fundamental concepts and equations. Practice regularly and pay attention to details, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

4. Are there any strategies for approaching seemingly easy physics problems?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help when approaching seemingly easy physics problems. These include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, drawing diagrams or visual aids, and checking your work for errors.

5. How can I tell if a physics problem is actually easy or if it just seems that way?

The best way to determine if a physics problem is actually easy is to attempt to solve it. If you are able to solve it correctly and efficiently, then it is likely an easy problem. However, if you encounter difficulties or need to use multiple equations, it may not be as easy as it initially seemed.