Creating Physical Formulas: Agreement or Experimentation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating scientific formulas and the role of scientists in this process. While some formulas may seem straightforward, others are more complex and require a creative approach. The formula for electric resistance is used as an example to illustrate this point. The conversation also touches on the idea that scientific theories are not created through a set process, but rather through a combination of established principles, intuition, and experimentation. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to explore Richard Feynman's lectures on the topic.
thedy
I know,that my question is bizarre,but i m interesting for answer.

To create formula,i mean,that scientist makes experiment and formula is result of it.And I have sometimes problem to understand,what physical formula means.

For example:Average speed is simple to make scheme.Just speed divide by time nad that s it.But others are more complicated.
Example:electric resistance is:R=specific electrical resistance·length/cross section area.

I understand it but,why is not like that:R=specific electrical resistance+length−cross section area.I know,that is like calculate apples with pears,but if length will be longer,R will be higher,and if cross section area will be more extensive,R will be lower.Mathematically,it is very similar.

So,and my terminal and main question is,if the creating of formula is concern of agreement.That means, a few scientists will meet,and they will make a decision about formulas.

Thanks a lot,i know it s stupid question,but i would like to know it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Scientists don't 'meet and make a decision' about formulas, nor are formulas derived directly from experiments. The construction of scientific theories is a much more subtle process, and there is no general procedure that one follows. It is a creative process, building upon principles already established, intuition, philosophical prejudices etc. Basically, it is a very subtle type of guesswork. If it disagrees with experiment, it is wrong. If you're interested in this, I recommend very highly the following set of popular lectures by Richard Feynman: http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/.

dx said:
Scientists don't 'meet and make a decision' about formulas, nor are formulas derived directly from experiments. The construction of scientific theories is a much more subtle process, and there is no general procedure that one follows. It is a creative process, building upon principles already established, intuition, philosophical prejudices etc. Basically, it is a very subtle type of guesswork. If it disagrees with experiment, it is wrong. If you're interested in this, I recommend very highly the following set of popular lectures by Richard Feynman: http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/.

Thanks for a tip.I will check it.

Related to Creating Physical Formulas: Agreement or Experimentation?

What is the process for creating a physical formula?

The process for creating a physical formula involves gathering data from experiments, analyzing the data, and then using mathematical equations to describe the relationship between the variables. This process may require multiple iterations and adjustments to the formula based on the results of experiments.

What is the importance of agreement in creating physical formulas?

Agreement in creating physical formulas refers to the consistency of the formula with experimental data. This is important because it ensures that the formula accurately describes the relationship between variables and can be used to make predictions and calculations.

Why is experimentation necessary in creating physical formulas?

Experimentation is necessary in creating physical formulas because it allows for the collection of data that can be used to validate or refute the formula. It also allows for the identification of any errors or limitations in the formula and provides an opportunity for improvement.

How do scientists ensure the accuracy of physical formulas?

Scientists ensure the accuracy of physical formulas through rigorous experimentation and validation processes. This may involve testing the formula with different sets of data, comparing it to existing formulas or theories, and peer review by other scientists.

Can physical formulas be modified or improved over time?

Yes, physical formulas can be modified and improved over time as new data and technologies become available. Scientists constantly strive to refine and improve upon existing formulas to increase their accuracy and applicability in various fields.