Creating GUI launch application in C#

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with creating a GUI that can launch a series of .exe files. They have experience with coding in C# but not with GUI work and are unsure of where to start. They also want to ensure that their GUI can support Vista and 7. They are working on this as a personal project to add to their resume. They are open to suggestions for a starting point and any recommended resources, and someone suggests looking into WPF and XAML. They also provide an example of how to create a button handler in XAML and code-behind.
Iron_Brute
I wanted to create a GUI that would launch a series of .exe files

My biggest problem right now is I do not know how to program the buttons to launch the executable files.

I have done some coding with C# but never any GUI work and not sure how to start.

I also wanted to see if there was a way to have my GUI able to support Vista and 7, as if it were for industry or something.

This is for a personal project so that I can add it to my resume.

If anyone could suggest a starting off point, or anybooks that would be useful for creating a GUI I would really appreciate it.

Technology news on Phys.org
On the event handler for the button put:

Process.start("yourExe.exe");

As for creating GUIs, have a look into WPF. WPF is supported throughout .NET 3.5 and up (and maybe even earlier, I don't know). XAML is an XML extension which allows you to form the GUI in an XML-ish language.
Those two technologies make it really easy to build fancy GUIs with little effort. If you've got Visual Studio, it can create GUIs through drag and drop and Expression blend works similarly.

MSDN is always a good source of such information.

As for the button handlers, it's easy with XAML! Every button has a Click attribute. Type in a name for the method to run and in the code-behind simply create a private method.

Example XAML:

Code:
<Button Content="Click me!" Click="DoStuff" />

Code-behind example:
Code:
private void DoStuff(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) {
  Process.Start("SomeProgram.exe");
}

Don't forget to include the System.Diagnostics using!

Related to Creating GUI launch application in C#

What is a GUI launch application?

A GUI launch application is a program that allows users to easily access and launch other applications or programs through a graphical user interface (GUI). It typically includes a menu or list of available applications for the user to choose from.

Why would I want to create a GUI launch application in C#?

C# is a popular programming language for creating Windows applications, and it has a robust set of tools and libraries for creating user-friendly GUIs. Using C# to create a GUI launch application allows for a more intuitive and visually appealing way for users to access and launch their desired applications.

What are the basic steps for creating a GUI launch application in C#?

The basic steps for creating a GUI launch application in C# include designing the user interface, writing the code to handle user interactions and launch applications, and testing and debugging the application. It is also important to consider accessibility and user experience when designing and developing the application.

Can I customize the appearance and functionality of my GUI launch application?

Yes, C# offers a wide range of tools and options for customizing the appearance and functionality of your GUI launch application. This includes using different layouts, colors, and styles for the user interface, as well as adding additional features such as search and sorting capabilities.

Are there any resources or tutorials available for creating a GUI launch application in C#?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for creating GUI launch applications in C#. These include official documentation and tutorials from Microsoft, as well as tutorials and guides from the C# community and programming websites.