Creating Custom Horizontal Rules in LaTeX: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question about creating a horizontal rule that doesn't take up the entire width of the page. The speaker is unsure where to post the question, and another person suggests using the "begin/end array" function or seeking help in the comp.text.tex newsgroup.
samp
I'm not sure where this should go - I didn't see any LaTeX-related forum.

Is there a way to create a horizontal rule that doesn't take up the entire width of the page?

Thanks,
Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
samp said:
I'm not sure where this should go - I didn't see any LaTeX-related forum.
Is there a way to create a horizontal rule that doesn't take up the entire width of the page?
Thanks,
Sam

There's a "stickied" thread in the General Physics forum where u can ask question regarding 'tex'.
What do you mean by "horizotal rule"?Can't u use the functions "begin/end array"?It would split everything in as many lines u want.

Daniel.

\rule{width}{hight}

The newsgroup comp.text.tex is also a good place for LaTeX questions.

Related to Creating Custom Horizontal Rules in LaTeX: Tips and Tricks

1. What is a horizontal rule in LaTeX?

A horizontal rule in LaTeX is a line that spans the width of the page, used to visually separate sections or elements of a document. It is also known as a horizontal line or divider.

2. How do I create a horizontal rule in LaTeX?

To create a horizontal rule in LaTeX, you can use the command \hrulefill or \rule. Both commands allow you to specify the length, thickness, and color of the line.

3. Can I customize the appearance of a horizontal rule in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of a horizontal rule in LaTeX by changing the length, thickness, and color of the line. You can also use different symbols or patterns instead of a solid line.

4. How can I add a caption to a horizontal rule in LaTeX?

To add a caption to a horizontal rule in LaTeX, you can use the \caption command within a \parbox or \minipage environment. This will create a caption below the rule.

5. Is it possible to create a double horizontal rule in LaTeX?

Yes, you can create a double horizontal rule in LaTeX by using the \hrule command twice with a small space in between. You can also adjust the thickness and spacing of the lines to achieve the desired effect.