Creating an electrical gag gift

• Thread starter Crispy7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a gag gift that will be activated when the box it is in is opened. The individual is seeking ideas on how to make the product recognize when the box is opened. Suggestions include using a magnet and radio frequency, a microswitch, a magnet and reed switch, or a paper clip, wax paper, and aluminum foil. The purpose of the gag gift is not specified.
Crispy7
hopefully this post makes sense:/ I am in the process of creating a product that is a gag gift. The gag gift will be electrical and will be activated once the box that it is in is opened. I am wondering if anybody has any ideas on how I can get the product to recognize when the box is being being opened so that It can activate? For example could I have a magnet on the top of the box and on the side a box and when the magnets separate it will send a small radio frequency to the product? Any ideas anybody has would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I built one of these for a game called Assassin. When a hollowed out book was opened, a bank of disposable camera flashes went off in the victim's face, simulating being blowed up.

It is a simple matter of attaching a loop of wire to the box lid - hooked to another loop inside the box. Most of both loops are left insulated - only the last inch is exposed. When the box is opened, the bare wires are brought into contact, closing the circuit.

(The reason you use loops is so that there's no chance they can become detached from each other.)

Attachments

• box-bomb.png
    box-bomb.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Likes Mike_In_Plano
Crispy7 said:
hopefully this post makes sense:/ I am in the process of creating a product that is a gag gift. The gag gift will be electrical and will be activated once the box that it is in is opened. I am wondering if anybody has any ideas on how I can get the product to recognize when the box is being being opened so that It can activate? For example could I have a magnet on the top of the box and on the side a box and when the magnets separate it will send a small radio frequency to the product? Any ideas anybody has would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance!

Simple -- use a microswitch to provide power to your circuit: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...sedr...0...1ac.1.61.img..0.11.720.GPmv37EzgVc

What does the gag do?

Or that. You could do that too... o0)

You could also use a small magnet in the lid and use a reed switch in the box itself.

For a simple - box lid activated switch... use a paper clip, wax paper and aluminum foil... make a sandwich of alu foil and wax paper - wax paper connected to the lid, then the aluminum foil as the "turn on" for your circuit// all clamped in the box. When they open the box they remove the wax paper and complete the circuit between the alum foil.

Related to Creating an electrical gag gift

1. What materials do I need to create an electrical gag gift?

The materials you will need will vary depending on the specific gag gift you want to create, but here are some common materials that may be useful: a battery or power source, wires, LEDs or light bulbs, switches, and any other decorative items you want to add.

2. Do I need to have any electrical knowledge or experience to create an electrical gag gift?

Yes, it is important to have at least a basic understanding of electrical circuits and safety precautions before attempting to create an electrical gag gift. If you are not comfortable working with electricity, it is best to seek help from someone who is knowledgeable.

3. Can I use a pre-made electrical gag gift or do I have to make it from scratch?

It is possible to purchase pre-made electrical gag gifts, but making it from scratch can add a personal touch and allow for more creativity. Plus, it can be more cost-effective to create your own gag gift rather than buying one.

4. Are there any safety risks associated with creating an electrical gag gift?

Yes, working with electricity can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. Be sure to use insulated wires, avoid touching any live wires, and follow safety guidelines while handling batteries or power sources.

5. Can an electrical gag gift be reused or is it a one-time use item?

This will depend on the specific gag gift and how it is designed. Some gag gifts may be reusable if they have replaceable batteries or can be easily reset, while others may only be usable once. It is important to consider this when designing and creating your gag gift.