Creating a Smooth Radial Electromagnet: Tips and Tricks

In summary: Hi Jason, I don't think you can topologically wind a continuous electromagnet as you've sketched. But you can segment it into a number of radial electromagnets, and arrange them each aiming in the radial direction. That's probably the closest approximation you'll get. BTW, the field for the permanent magnet you've sketched is pretty ugly -- no where near flat in the inner region of the donut. What field shape are you trying to generate?In summary, Jason wants a curved field like the one shown in the sketch he attached.
Jdo300
Hello,

Does anyone here know how to make a radial electromagnet? I'm trying to figutr out how I would wind the coils. I want to make a doughnut magnet with a single north pole on the inside diameter and a south pole on the outside diameter. It will be critical that the field on the inside diameter is smooth, and not bumpy. Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated :-).

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think that field shape makes sense, Jason. Could you post a sketch of what you want the field lines to look like? Do you just want a flat field in a volume?

Hi, I attached a sketch of what I mean. The picture is of a permanent magnet but I am trying to create the same thing as an electromagnet.

- Jason O

Attachments

• Magnet.GIF
    Magnet.GIF
    15.4 KB · Views: 560
Hi Jason, I don't think you can topologically wind a continuous electromagnet as you've sketched. But you can segment it into a number of radial electromagnets, and arrange them each aiming in the radial direction. That's probably the closest approximation you'll get. BTW, the field for the permanent magnet you've sketched is pretty ugly -- no where near flat in the inner region of the donut. What field shape are you trying to generate?

berkeman said:
Hi Jason, I don't think you can topologically wind a continuous electromagnet as you've sketched. But you can segment it into a number of radial electromagnets, and arrange them each aiming in the radial direction. That's probably the closest approximation you'll get. BTW, the field for the permanent magnet you've sketched is pretty ugly -- no where near flat in the inner region of the donut. What field shape are you trying to generate?

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking me about the field. Yes, I want the field to be curved like the inside radius of the picture I showed you.

Thanks,
Jason O

Related to Creating a Smooth Radial Electromagnet: Tips and Tricks

1. What is a radial electromagnet?

A radial electromagnet is a type of electromagnet in which the magnetic field lines are oriented in a radial direction, extending outward from the center of the magnet.

2. How does a radial electromagnet work?

A radial electromagnet works by using an electric current to create a magnetic field around a central core. The strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the coil.

3. What are the applications of radial electromagnets?

Radial electromagnets have a wide range of applications, including in motors, generators, speakers, and magnetic levitation systems. They are also commonly used in scientific research and experiments.

4. What are the advantages of using a radial electromagnet?

One of the main advantages of using a radial electromagnet is its ability to produce a strong magnetic field that is concentrated in a specific direction. This makes it useful for precision tasks and applications where a strong, focused magnetic field is necessary.

5. Are there any limitations to using a radial electromagnet?

One limitation of radial electromagnets is that they can only produce a magnetic field when an electric current is flowing through the coil. This means that they require a power source to function and cannot maintain a magnetic field without it. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic field is limited by the amount of current that can be safely passed through the coil.