Creating a High-Pressure Fire Hose: Conical vs. Cylindrical Tank Design

• Thread starter Phloxicon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire Hose
In summary, it would be impractical to build a cylindrical tank that high with a hole at the bottom the same size as a conical tank, but a smaller conical tank would have the same pressure. To reach the 8 bars of pressure, the tank would need to be at least 100480 milliliters high.
Phloxicon
I had an idea the other day and I wondered whether or not it was possible. I want to build a water tank hooked up to a hose that can fire with the force of a real fire hose ( I'd really be delighted if I only reached half that ). Here's what the numbers:

A fire hose has roughly 8 bars of pressure.
Roughly 10 meters deep of water creates 1 bar.

It would be impractical to build my a cylindrical tank be roughly 80 meters high. Instead, I was thinking that I could use a conical shape tank. Would a conical tank of the same height and hole width at the bottom as a cylindrical tank have more pressure because of the extra water on it? Does it matter what size the hole is at the bottom?

Let's say the hole was 2 centimeters wide, the cylindrical tank will need (pi*(r^2)*h) (3.14(2[centimeters]^2)*8000[centimeters]) = 100480[milliliters?]. Using (pi*(r^2)*h)/3 for the cone volume, to try to get the same volume, (3.14(2^2)*x)/3 = 100480, x = ?). My mathematical abilities all break down here. I've been trying this for a while but can't figure it out.

Basically, will a smaller conical tank create the same pressure of a larger cylindrical tank and how high would I need the tank to be to reach the 8 bars or so pressure (I'm trying to get it all the way up to my roof).

All responses are appreciated. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Phloxicon said:
I had an idea the other day and I wondered whether or not it was possible. I want to build a water tank hooked up to a hose that can fire with the force of a real fire hose ( I'd really be delighted if I only reached half that ). Here's what the numbers:

A fire hose has roughly 8 bars of pressure.
Roughly 10 meters deep of water creates 1 bar.

It would be impractical to build my a cylindrical tank be roughly 80 meters high. Instead, I was thinking that I could use a conical shape tank. Would a conical tank of the same height and hole width at the bottom as a cylindrical tank have more pressure because of the extra water on it? Does it matter what size the hole is at the bottom?

Let's say the hole was 2 centimeters wide, the cylindrical tank will need (pi*(r^2)*h) (3.14(2[centimeters]^2)*8000[centimeters]) = 100480[milliliters?]. Using (pi*(r^2)*h)/3 for the cone volume, to try to get the same volume, (3.14(2^2)*x)/3 = 100480, x = ?). My mathematical abilities all break down here. I've been trying this for a while but can't figure it out.

Basically, will a smaller conical tank create the same pressure of a larger cylindrical tank and how high would I need the tank to be to reach the 8 bars or so pressure (I'm trying to get it all the way up to my roof).

All responses are appreciated. Thanks :)

No, the pressure just depends on the head (height of water). You need a pump -- that's what firetrucks use anyway.

Dang :( Thanks :D

Related to Creating a High-Pressure Fire Hose: Conical vs. Cylindrical Tank Design

1. How do I choose the right materials for making my own fire hose?

The most important factor when choosing materials for a fire hose is its ability to withstand high levels of pressure and heat. Look for materials such as Kevlar, polyester, or nylon that have high tensile strength and heat resistance. It's also important to choose a material that is flexible and can be easily folded and coiled without causing damage.

2. What tools do I need to make my own fire hose?

To make a fire hose, you will need a sewing machine, heavy-duty needles, high-strength thread, scissors, and measuring tools. Depending on the type of material you are using, you may also need specialty tools like heat sealers or hot knives to cut and seal the edges of the hose.

3. Do I need any special skills or training to make a fire hose?

Making a fire hose requires basic sewing skills and knowledge of working with heavy-duty materials. It's important to have a good understanding of how to use a sewing machine and how to sew different types of seams for maximum strength and durability. If you are not familiar with these skills, it may be helpful to take a basic sewing class before attempting to make your own fire hose.

4. Can I make a fire hose that meets safety standards?

It is possible to make a fire hose that meets safety standards, but it requires careful attention to detail and proper testing. Before using your homemade fire hose, it's important to have it tested for pressure and heat resistance to ensure it can safely withstand the demands of a fire. It's also a good idea to consult with a professional or refer to industry standards when making your own fire hose.

5. Is it more cost-effective to make my own fire hose rather than buying one?

The cost-effectiveness of making your own fire hose depends on factors such as the materials you use and the tools you already have. In some cases, buying a pre-made fire hose may be more cost-effective, especially if you only need one or two. However, if you plan on making multiple fire hoses or have access to discounted materials, making your own can save you money in the long run.