Creating a Focused Waveform to Pass Through Clothing and Structures

In summary, the idea is to create a waveform which is biologically inert, can penetrate light structural materials, and be picked up by a receiver antenna. The waveform should be able to deliver pain stimulus to an affected area via electric shock.
Benleuenberger
so I am hatching an idea for a system of equipment which requires a focussed wavelength which will not greatly widen over distances of less than a mile. Also the waveform needs to be sensible by receiver antenna or something of a similar nature. It is necessary that the waveform be able to penetrate at least an average layer of clothing before contacting the receiver and ideally be able to pass through light structural materials (think drywall).

The end target of this waveform will be human tissue so it has to be biologically inert or have at most some negligible effects over time and repeated exposures.

I'm not sure if a laser/maser or related phenomenon is the answer but to my knowledge it is the closest existing solution to my question. If anyone has any other ideas I would greatly appreciate suggestions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your signal is biologically inert having that as a target would do nothing. What exactly are you attempting?

BoB

Mimicking a bullet that would be picked up by a receiver worn by the user, which would then deliver pain stimulus via electric shock to the effected area via software contained in the greater system.

You may want to look at laser pointers for ideas. I suspect you will need a class 3 device to get the range you want, In which case you will need to look at what sort of protection you will need for your users (and targets).

Anything outside of visible wavelengths needs more care because you loose the protection of the blink reflex while the energy may still be able to damage eyesight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety

Right! This I know already regarding safety. The problem I find is that if a receiver were worn underneath a layer of clothing I don't believe that even a class three laser would penetrate to the receiver. This is why I thought a maser could be the answer as microwaves have more of an ability than light to penetrate materials. Unless Ian mistaken on this subject which is possible.

True honestly I threw down a mile as an arbitrary benchmark. Also have heard of and used miles and think it's a good idea with bad execution. I know there is a better alternative. I just need a focussed wave of something that can be picked up by antenna through a layer or two of clothing

I haven't worked with MASERs, but that seems like a logical thing to use to get the ability to go through clothing. Unfortunately, they haven't seen the miniaturization that LASERs have over the past decade or so. Have you looked into what the smaller MASERs look like?

berkeman said:
I Googled miniature MASER, and got some interesting hits. There was a Nature article about an advancement in solid state MASERs a couple years ago:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/200128777162306103/

Here's the full Google search hit list -- https://www.google.com/search?sourc...l=hp...0j0i22i30l4.0.0.0.3664...0.2rHKXj6cdYM

:smile:
To obtain a parallel beam for a mile would, assuming a 1m diameter dish antenna, require a wavelength less than 0.25mm. It is difficult to obtain a lot of power at such wavelengths, but it would penetrate clothing to some extent I think. A smaller dish would require a smaller wavelength. Not sure a Maser is the best source of power though. I suppose that infra red is the way to go.

Related to Creating a Focused Waveform to Pass Through Clothing and Structures

1. How does a focused waveform pass through clothing and structures?

A focused waveform is a type of energy that is directed in a specific direction, rather than spreading out in all directions. This allows it to pass through clothing and structures by targeting a specific path and minimizing interference from the outer layers.

2. What factors influence the effectiveness of a focused waveform passing through clothing and structures?

The effectiveness of a focused waveform is influenced by various factors such as the frequency, wavelength, and amplitude of the waveform. These parameters determine the energy and direction of the waveform, as well as its ability to penetrate through different materials.

3. Can a focused waveform pass through all types of clothing and structures?

No, a focused waveform may not be able to pass through all types of clothing and structures. The ability of a waveform to penetrate through a material depends on its properties, such as density, thickness, and composition. Some materials may absorb or reflect the waveform, making it less effective in passing through.

4. Is it possible to control the direction of a focused waveform?

Yes, it is possible to control the direction of a focused waveform. This is achieved through the use of specialized equipment, such as antennas and lenses, which can manipulate the waveform's energy and direct it towards a specific path.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with using a focused waveform to pass through clothing and structures?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with using a focused waveform to pass through clothing and structures. These may include potential health hazards from exposure to high-frequency energy, interference with electronic devices, and potential damage to sensitive materials. Therefore, it is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when using focused waveforms.