Creating a Car Model for Turning: Dynamics Knowledge Needed

In summary, the conversation is about creating a model for a car turning and finding resources for understanding the dynamics involved. One suggestion is to refer to notes from an automotive class offered at a university, which may not be available for long.
JoaoRebelo
I'm trying to create a model for a car turning to make a differential (I need forces aplied on the wheel, and all other things) but I don't have enough knowledge of dynamics to do that. Does someone know a book(s), papers or sites with good explanation about that?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.me.ttu.edu/UserFiles/File/Maxwell%20Spr%2006%20Auto%20Sys/Intro%20to%20vehicle%20dynamics%201.pdf

Try that file. Those are notes from an automotive class being offered at my university. I can't tell you how long those will be up so you may want to save them.

Hope this helps.

Creating a car model for turning is a complex task that requires a solid understanding of dynamics. It involves considering forces applied on the wheels, as well as other factors such as friction, weight distribution, and steering angles.

If you do not have enough knowledge of dynamics, I would recommend starting by learning the basic principles and equations of motion. You can find this information in textbooks such as "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by R.C. Hibbeler or "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor.

In addition, there are many online resources and research papers that discuss car dynamics in detail. Some good starting points would be the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) website and the International Journal of Vehicle Dynamics, Modeling, and Simulation.

It is also helpful to look into specific car models and their turning dynamics, as this can provide practical examples and insights. For example, researching the turning capabilities of sports cars or race cars can give you a better understanding of how different design elements affect turning performance.

Lastly, don't hesitate to reach out to experts in the field or join online forums and communities dedicated to car modeling and dynamics. These resources can provide valuable insights and guidance as you work on your model.

In summary, creating a car model for turning requires a solid understanding of dynamics, which can be acquired through textbooks, online resources, and practical examples. With dedication and persistence, you can develop a comprehensive model that accurately represents the turning capabilities of a car.

Related to Creating a Car Model for Turning: Dynamics Knowledge Needed

1. What is the purpose of creating a car model for turning?

The purpose of creating a car model for turning is to understand the dynamics and mechanics of how a car turns, as well as to predict and improve its performance in different turning scenarios.

2. What knowledge is needed to create a car model for turning?

Creating a car model for turning requires knowledge in physics, specifically in mechanics, kinematics, and dynamics. It also requires an understanding of the components and systems of a car, such as the engine, suspension, and steering.

3. How does the weight of a car affect its turning ability?

The weight of a car plays a significant role in its turning ability. A heavier car will have more inertia and therefore require more force to change its direction, making it less agile. On the other hand, a lighter car will be easier to turn, but may also be more susceptible to losing traction and control.

4. What role does the suspension play in a car's turning dynamics?

The suspension of a car is responsible for maintaining contact between the tires and the road surface. It also absorbs impact and provides stability during turns. A well-designed suspension can improve a car's handling and make it easier to turn, while a poorly designed one can hinder the turning dynamics.

5. How does tire grip affect a car's turning performance?

Tire grip is essential in a car's turning performance. The amount of grip a tire has on the road determines how much force it can exert to change the car's direction. Factors such as tire pressure, tread design, and road conditions can all affect the tire's grip and, in turn, the car's turning dynamics.