Created this topic for the chemistry section

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
In summary, there was a thread created in the chemistry section that was moved to the homework section. The person writing the thread requested for it to be moved back. The mentor responsible for the move was not known, but a request was made for them to contact the person. The reason for the move was because it appeared to be a homework or coursework question. However, the question was answered and it was discussed that true learning only occurs when the person puts thought into the question before receiving an answer.
Bladibla
Hello

I recently created this topic for the chemistry section:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=119873

But it was moved to the homework section, which it wasn't. Could I ask for it to be moved back?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know which mentor originally moved your thread. I've made a general request to the mentors that whoever moved it contact you via PM and sort out the best placement. Often, very straightforward questions like that get moved to homework because they look like homework/coursework questions (it doesn't have to be actual homework to belong in that forum, but basic questions about material being learned in class too). Sometimes they are not based on someone's coursework, and this confuses the person writing the thread when it gets moved. Depending on the level of answer you were hoping for, it might still be better placed in homework than in chemistry, or vice versa. That can be worked out with the mentor who did the moving.

Moonbear said:
I don't know which mentor originally moved your thread. I've made a general request to the mentors that whoever moved it contact you via PM and sort out the best placement. Often, very straightforward questions like that get moved to homework because they look like homework/coursework questions (it doesn't have to be actual homework to belong in that forum, but basic questions about material being learned in class too). Sometimes they are not based on someone's coursework, and this confuses the person writing the thread when it gets moved. Depending on the level of answer you were hoping for, it might still be better placed in homework than in chemistry, or vice versa. That can be worked out with the mentor who did the moving.

Ah no worries. The question was answered.

The question is not really whether or not your question was assigned course work, but rather is it the "type" of question which would be assigned as course work. Clearly this question falls into that category.

Even if it is not course, work true learning can only occur, when the person with the question puts some thought into it before being handed an answer.

Related to Created this topic for the chemistry section

1. What is the purpose of creating this topic for the chemistry section?

The purpose of creating this topic is to facilitate discussions and exchange of knowledge and ideas related to chemistry among the members of the community. It also serves as a platform for individuals to seek help and guidance on various chemistry-related topics.

2. Who can participate in discussions on this topic?

Anyone with an interest in chemistry, whether it be students, teachers, researchers, or enthusiasts, can participate in discussions on this topic. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds and levels of expertise to contribute and learn from each other.

3. Can I share my own research or experiments on this topic?

Yes, you are encouraged to share your own research or experiments on this topic. However, please make sure to provide proper citations and references for any information or data you share. Also, please note that this forum is not a substitute for peer-reviewed publications and should not be used to publish original research.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in discussions on this topic?

Yes, we have a few guidelines to ensure productive and respectful discussions. Please refrain from using inappropriate language, personal attacks, or spamming. Additionally, please make sure to cite your sources and provide accurate information. Any violation of these guidelines may result in removal of the post and may even lead to a ban from the forum.

5. How can I suggest a new subtopic or ask a question that is not already covered in this topic?

You can suggest a new subtopic or ask a question by creating a new post in this topic and using a relevant title. You can also reach out to the moderators or administrators of this community to suggest new topics or ask questions. We are always open to suggestions and feedback to improve this forum for everyone.