Create Concentric Circles with Equal Distances

• Thread starter TimeRip496
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary: There are 12 points on the inner circle, but if you were to connect the points in straight horizontal lines, you'll find that you can connect a few of them with three lines, fewer with 5 lines, and even fewer with 7 lines. So there you have it. The only way to have all these points equidistant from each other is if you have a point surrounded by 6 points. Then you have the option to make a concentric circle with 12 points surrounded by 18 points, but then you'll have to add more points to get them all equidistant from each other. It's impossible to have all the points equidistant from each other when creating multiple concentric circles.In
TimeRip496
Is it possible to create a concentric circles whereby all the objects on it have equal distance from each other?
upload_2016-2-6_23-25-3.png

where the squares/rectangles are object and are equal distance from each other regardless on what circle they are on.
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
TimeRip496 said:
Is it possible to create a concentric circles whereby all the objects on it have equal distance from each other?
Hi Rip:

I don't understand what you are asking. Can you specify which squares/rectangles are to have the same distance relative to other specific squares/rectangles?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Rip:

I don't understand what you are asking. Can you specify which squares/rectangles are to have the same distance relative to other specific squares/rectangles?

Regards,
Buzz
As in same distance from each other regardless whether they are on the same circle or not. Assume that the square/rectangle(I can't draw properly such that all of them are equal) are all the same thing.

TimeRip496 said:
As in same distance from each other regardless whether they are on the same circle or not. Assume that the square/rectangle(I can't draw properly such that all of them are equal) are all the same thing.
Hi Rip:

You show 1+6+8+8=23 squares/rectangles (items). For each of the 22 x 23 / 253 pairs of items, do you want the distance between the two items in the pair the have the same distance as all the other pairs?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
You show 1+6+8+8=23 squares/rectangles (items). For each of the 22 x 23 / 253 pairs of items, do you want the distance between the two items in the pair the have the same distance as all the other pairs?
CORRECTION
You show 1+6+8+8=23 squares/rectangles (items). For each of the 22 x 23 / 2 = 253 pairs of items, do you want the distance between the two items in the pair the have the same distance as all the other pairs?

No, the left-most object is further away from the right-most object than it is from the one in the centre.

If that doesn't answer the question you think you are asking, you need to give more details i.e.
Buzz Bloom said:
specify which squares/rectangles are to have the same distance relative to other specific squares/rectangles

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Rip:

Regards,
Buzz
Ignore the picture, i drew it just to show how it looks like. I just want to create a concentric circle whereby the objects on each circle are equal in distance from each other, including those that don't lie on the same circle. The distance between the each circles in the conentric circle and the radius of the center circle are the same. I am wondering whether there is such a formula for this.

Sorry for my unclear post.

TimeRip496 said:
the objects on each circle are equal in distance from each other
This is the crucial piece of information that was missing.

And tf the distance between the circles is the radius of the centre circle then the circumference of each circle will always be an integer multiple of the circumference of the centre circle so yes, you can fit 2 objects ## \pi r_0 ## apart on the centre circle, 4 the same distance on the next, 6 on the next and so on.

MrAnchovy said:
This is the crucial piece of information that was missing.

And tf the distance between the circles is the radius of the centre circle then the circumference of each circle will always be an integer multiple of the circumference of the centre circle so yes, you can fit 2 objects ## \pi r_0 ## apart on the centre circle, 4 the same distance on the next, 6 on the next and so on.
Not just that. The object on a particular is surrounded by not just objects on the same circle as it is but also other objects on other circle(outer and inner circles) and the distance away from these surrounding objects(whether they are on the same circle or not) are the same. Therefore these objects are all evenly spaced out, not just on the same circle.

TimeRip496 said:
...the distance away from these surrounding objects(whether they are on the same circle or not)...
You have to define which objects are "surrounding objects" that have to keep a certain distance.

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is that it can be achieved only for a circle of radius zero (a point) surrounded by six additional points. No further concentric circles are possible.

I was drawing it up a bit in autocad... If you have a centerpoint and draw a unit circle with 6 points on it, each of those 6 points will be equidistant from each other and from the center point.. Then you can draw a unit circle from two adjacent points, and where they intersect will be the radius for your next 'ring' of points.. From that point you can put 6 points along that circle that will be equidistant to two points on the inner circle, but not to a neighboring point on the outer circle...

I'm having trouble uploading the screenshot of it... I'll give it a try later again

Here we go.. At some point you'll have to choose which points will be equidistant from each other.. you just can't have it all

PF - equidistant points.jpg

Related to Create Concentric Circles with Equal Distances

1. How do I create concentric circles with equal distances?

To create concentric circles with equal distances, you can use a compass or a drawing tool to draw each circle. Start with the smallest circle in the center and gradually increase the radius for each subsequent circle, making sure the distance between each circle is the same.

2. How do I ensure that the distances between the concentric circles are equal?

The best way to ensure equal distances between concentric circles is to use a ruler or measuring tool. Measure the distance between the center of the circles and adjust as needed to make sure they are all the same distance apart.

3. Can I create concentric circles with equal distances digitally?

Yes, there are many digital tools and software that can help you create concentric circles with equal distances. You can use a drawing program or a specialized design software that has features for drawing circles with precise measurements.

4. How many concentric circles can I create with equal distances?

You can create as many concentric circles as you want with equal distances. However, the number of circles may be limited by the size of your drawing surface or the accuracy of your drawing tools. With digital tools, the number of circles may be virtually unlimited.

5. Why is it important to have equal distances between concentric circles?

Having equal distances between concentric circles is important for creating accurate and symmetrical designs. It also helps maintain a sense of balance and proportion in the overall composition. In scientific or mathematical applications, equal distances between circles may be necessary for precise measurements and calculations.