Cramer's Rule and Dyadics(Menzel)

• I
  • Thread starter Odious Suspect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cramer's rule
In summary, Menzel's Mathematical Physics discusses the use of dyadics in solving problems involving multi-linear/tensor equations. The book presents a system of equations involving vectors and tensors, and explains the use of Cramer's rule to solve for the unknown variables. However, there is a discrepancy in the row ordering in the last application of Cramer's rule, which may affect the accuracy of the solution.
Odious Suspect
The following is from Donald H. Menzel's Mathematical Physics:

##\Phi =\left(
\begin{array}{c}
a_{11}\hat{\mathfrak{i}} \hat{\mathfrak{j}}
+a_{12}\hat{\mathfrak{i}} \hat{\mathfrak{j}}
+a_{13}\hat{\mathfrak{i}} \hat{\mathfrak{k}} \\
+a_{21}\hat{\mathfrak{j}} \hat{\mathfrak{i}}
+a_{22}\hat{\mathfrak{j}} \hat{\mathfrak{j}}
+a_{23}\hat{\mathfrak{j}} \hat{\mathfrak{k}} \\
+a_{31}\hat{\mathfrak{k}} \hat{\mathfrak{i}}
+a_{32}\hat{\mathfrak{k}} \hat{\mathfrak{j}}
+a_{33}\hat{\mathfrak{k}} \hat{\mathfrak{k}} \\
\end{array}
\right)=\hat{\mathfrak{i}} \mathfrak{B}_1+\hat{\mathfrak{j}} \mathfrak{B}_2+\hat{\mathfrak{k}} \mathfrak{B}_3##

##\mathfrak{B}_1=\hat{\mathfrak{i}} a_{11}+\hat{\mathfrak{j}} a_{21}+\hat{\mathfrak{k}} a_{31}=\Phi \cdot \hat{\mathfrak{i}}##

##\mathfrak{B}_2=\hat{\mathfrak{i}} a_{12}+\hat{\mathfrak{j}} a_{22}+\hat{\mathfrak{k}} a_{32}=\Phi \cdot \hat{\mathfrak{j}}##

##\mathfrak{B}_3=\hat{\mathfrak{i}} a_{13}+\hat{\mathfrak{j}} a_{23}+\hat{\mathfrak{k}} a_{33}=\Phi \cdot \hat{\mathfrak{k}}##

##\mathfrak{i}=\frac{\left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\mathfrak{B}_1 & \mathfrak{B}_2 & \mathfrak{B}_3 \\
a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\
a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33} \\
\end{array}\right|
}{
\left|
\begin{array}{ccc}
a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\
\end{array}
\right|} ##

##\mathfrak{j}=\frac{\left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\end{array} \right|
}{
\left|
\begin{array}{ccc}
\end{array}
\right|} ##

Should the first and second rows be transposed in the numerator of the last equation? It appears that the expression, as given, will result in the negative of the advertised value.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Odious Suspect.

This looks like a multi-linear/tensor problem and I think it needs to be pointed out what sort of algebra the i_hat, j_hat and l_hat (looks like a weird l) have.

Are they just the normal cross product relations or are they something else?

chiro said:
Hey Odious Suspect.

This looks like a multi-linear/tensor problem and I think it needs to be pointed out what sort of algebra the i_hat, j_hat and l_hat (looks like a weird l) have.

Are they just the normal cross product relations or are they something else?

##\hat{\mathfrak{i}}, \hat{\mathfrak{j}}, \hat{\mathfrak{k}}## are the traditional ##\hat{i}, \hat{j}, \hat{k}## of vector calculus. I use German (Fraktur) letters for vector-ish and tensor-ish things. The ##\Phi## beast is a dyadic. I am not comfortable enough with dyadics to provide a "crash course" to get you up to speed. You know what the Uppanishads say about the blind leading the blind.

##\mathfrak{B}_i## are vectors (n-tuples).

Hi there. so i usually get problems where you transpose a whole matrix. but we can treat the two rows as a coefficient matrix

if you treat the two rows as a coefficient matrix and transpose them you get [ B1 A11 A12 ]
[ B2 B3 A13 ]

cramer's rule if you want to solve for just one of the variables instead of all is that x1 = det ( A1 ) / det (A) x2 = det (A2) / det (A). You could make B the column 1 variable and solve for B. Transpose the matrix. [ B1 a11 a31 ] det (B) / det ( of the original matrix) = B.
[ B2 a12 a32 ]
[ B3 a13 a33 ]

so what a marvel of a comely matrix problem. hope you have a great day.

akeleti8 said:
Hi there. so i usually get problems where you transpose a whole matrix. but we can treat the two rows as a coefficient matrix

if you treat the two rows as a coefficient matrix and transpose them you get [ B1 A11 A12 ]
[ B2 B3 A13 ]

cramer's rule if you want to solve for just one of the variables instead of all is that x1 = det ( A1 ) / det (A) x2 = det (A2) / det (A). You could make B the column 1 variable and solve for B. Transpose the matrix. [ B1 a11 a31 ] det (B) / det ( of the original matrix) = B.
[ B2 a12 a32 ]
[ B3 a13 a33 ]

so what a marvel of a comely matrix problem. hope you have a great day.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. My question has to do with the ordering of rows in the last application of Cramer's rule in the original post.

\end{array} \right|
}{
\left|
\begin{array}{ccc}
\end{array}
\right|} ##

The replacement of rows in the determinant of the numerator is appropriate due to the fact (which I didn't emphasize) that the coefficients in the system of simultaneous linear equations are those of the transposed matrix. The problem is to solve (invert) the following equation:

##\left[\begin{array}{ccc} \hat{\mathfrak{i}} & \hat{\mathfrak{j}} & \hat{\mathfrak{k}}\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{ccc} a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13}\\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23}\\ a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33} \end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{ccc} \mathfrak{B}_{1} & \mathfrak{B}_{2} & \mathfrak{B}_{2}\end{array}\right]##

It appears to me that Menzel should have written

\end{array} \right|
}{
\left|
\begin{array}{ccc}
\end{array}
\right|} ##

Related to Cramer's Rule and Dyadics(Menzel)

1. What is Cramer's Rule?

Cramer's Rule is a mathematical method for solving systems of linear equations using determinants. It allows for the calculation of unique solutions to systems of equations by using the ratios of determinants.

2. How is Cramer's Rule used in science?

Cramer's Rule is commonly used in science to solve systems of equations that arise in physics and engineering problems. It is particularly useful in situations where the number of equations is equal to the number of unknown variables.

3. What is a dyadic in relation to Menzel's theorem?

A dyadic in relation to Menzel's theorem is a mathematical object that represents a linear transformation between two vectors. In Menzel's theorem, dyadics are used to describe the interactions between electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic systems.

4. How does Menzel's theorem relate to Cramer's Rule?

Menzel's theorem and Cramer's Rule are both mathematical tools used in the study of electromagnetics. Cramer's Rule can be applied to solve systems of linear equations that arise in Menzel's theorem, making it a useful tool in studying electromagnetic systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Cramer's Rule and Dyadics in scientific research?

While Cramer's Rule and Dyadics are powerful mathematical tools, they do have some limitations. They are most effective for systems of equations with a small number of variables, and can become computationally intensive for larger systems. Additionally, they may not be applicable to all types of problems and may require additional mathematical techniques for more complex situations.