Cramers Rule and Determinants - A more detailed analysis

In summary, the conversation is about a presentation on the 3-point problem in Geology and the use of Cramer's Rule to solve for the equation of a plane. The individual is seeking help in understanding the reasoning behind the equation of a plane and the definition of a determinant. They also mention their lack of background in the subject and the pressure of presenting soon.
succubus
I know I am not presenting an actual problem, but it is for homework, and I do need some help. I wasn't sure which forum to post in, so I posted in two. :( Sorry.

I am doing a presentation on the 3-point problem in Geology. We have to use Cramers Rule to solve for the equation of a plane. I can do it no problem, but since I have to present it, I want to be prepared to answer all questions my teacher may ask. For example:

Why is the equation of a plane written like this

| x y z 1|
|x1 y1 z1 1|
|x2 y2 z2 1|
|x3 y3 z3 1|

The top is just the vector we multiply by to come up with the equation of a line? (when we expand by cofactors) I'm not sure exactly. Unfortunately I did not take the required pre-req to get into this class, they let me in, so I took on a project that was a little beyond me at this point. Also, what is the definition of a determinant? I can show how they work, ubt I don't have a description of what they really represent. Everything I look up and every book I have just show you how to analyze them, not what they really represent.

Any help on the explanation of this would be great.

-Pati

Physics news on Phys.org
First, of course, what you have is NOT the equation of a plane because it is not even an equation. It is, rather, one of the determinants you would use, in Cramer's method, to solve several equations.

The equation of any (almost) plane can be written Ax+ By+ Cz= 1 for some choice of A, B, and C. If the plane includes the 3 points [itex](x_1,y_1,z_1)[/itex], [itex](x_2,y_2,z_2)[/itex], and [itex](x_3,y_3,z_3)[/itex] then you must have [itex]Ax_1+ By_1+ Cz_1= 1[/itex], [itex]Ax_2+ By_2+ Cz_2= 1[/itex], and [itex]Ax_3+ By_3+ Cz_3= 1[/itex]. Including the generic Ax+ By+ Cz= 1 gives 4 equations whose augmented matrix is what you have above.

You are correct that expanding the determinant by minors, using the first row gives the determinants that appear in Cramer's rule. It is, in fact, how Cramer's rule is derived.

Aahh...well, I meant why is the equation of a plane found using a determinant such as that. ;) I'm a bit on edge as I have to present this soon, and I have been racking my brain. Thanks for your input though, the more input themerrier!

Related to Cramers Rule and Determinants - A more detailed analysis

What is Cramer's Rule?

Cramer's Rule is a method used to solve systems of linear equations by using determinants. It provides a systematic way of finding the unique solution to a system of equations by using the coefficients of the variables.

How does Cramer's Rule work?

Cramer's Rule involves using determinants to solve a system of equations. The numerator of the solution is formed by replacing the coefficients of the variable being solved with the constants of the system, while the denominator is the determinant of the coefficient matrix. The solution is then obtained by dividing the numerator by the denominator.

What is a determinant?

A determinant is a numerical value that is calculated from the entries of a square matrix. It is used to determine various properties of a matrix, including its invertibility and the solution to systems of linear equations. In Cramer's Rule, the determinant of the coefficient matrix is used to obtain the solution to a system of equations.

What is the significance of determinants in Cramer's Rule?

Determinants play a crucial role in Cramer's Rule as they are used to calculate the solution to a system of equations. They also provide important information about the properties of a matrix, such as its invertibility and the number of solutions to a system of equations.

Are there any limitations to using Cramer's Rule?

Yes, there are limitations to using Cramer's Rule. It can only be used to solve systems of linear equations with unique solutions, meaning that there must be the same number of equations as variables. It also involves calculating multiple determinants, which can become computationally intensive for larger systems of equations.