CPU power consumed relates to information processed?

In summary: This is the ohmic resistance of the transistor.In summary, I think that CPUs consume power because of the ohmic resistance of the transistors that they are built of (i hope i am not wrong on this), and that if we were able to build some sort of superconducting CPU with almost zero ohmic resistances, would it be able to operate and perform computations with almost zero power, or (and here comes the interesting part of my question) because there are computations and hence information transformed, the entropy of the CPU is changing hence there has to be some non neglible power consumed by the CPU(even if it was superconducting)?
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
As far as i know CPUs consume power because of the ohmic resistance of the transistors that they are built of(i hope i am not wrong on this).

But if we were able to build some sort of superconducting CPU with almost zero ohmic resistances, would it be able to operate and perform computations with almost zero power, or (and here comes the interesting part of my question) because there are computations and hence information transformed, the entropy of the CPU is changing hence there has to be some non neglible power consumed by the CPU(even if it was superconducting)?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, if the CPU has zero ohmic resistances the CPU can operate fully with really very small power consumed as dictated by the Landauer's Limit?

Why i do feel something is not right, i feel like we are getting something (information processed by the CPU) while offering nothing or almost nothing as Landauer's energy is really small even if information is allowed to be erased?

CMOS devices have capacitance (both the traces on the chip and the gate capacitance of FETs). This has to be charged and discharged when the logic level/voltage changes.

CWatters said:
CMOS devices have capacitance (both the traces on the chip and the gate capacitance of FETs). This has to be charged and discharged when the logic level/voltage changes.
In an attempt to increase speed without increasing the Energy dissipated per cycle, chip makers have been using lower and lower supply voltages (E = CV2/2). This, of course, brings in other problems due to the low signal levels.

Delta² said:
As far as i know CPUs consume power because of the ohmic resistance of the transistors that they are built of(i hope i am not wrong on this).

But if we were able to build some sort of superconducting CPU with almost zero ohmic resistances, would it be able to operate and perform computations with almost zero power, or (and here comes the interesting part of my question) because there are computations and hence information transformed, the entropy of the CPU is changing hence there has to be some non neglible power consumed by the CPU(even if it was superconducting)?

I think Landauer's given above is the applicable principal of information processing, but here are the particulars of why information as manipulated by transistors must draw non-zero power.

Electronic computers represent binary information by means of transistors in an "on" or "off" state, i.e. a switch. The on state is characterized by relatively low resistance, and indeed transistors are constantly improved by further lowering the "on" resistance. But the "off" state is defined by relatively high resistance, the as switches are, and the opposite of the point of superconductors. To prevent loss in the off state the resistance should be infinite, but it never quite is and so when "off" transistors "leak". They leak less and less apparently with each new development but it never completely goes away. Furthermore, even though the switching time between on and off has decreased by many, many orders of magnitude with ever-new semiconductor developments, that time remains, and will remain non-zero. It is during this time that some current flows through a middling resistance and creates ohmic losses. There are still more imperfections in the model of transistor as a perfect all-on/all-off switch.

Related to CPU power consumed relates to information processed?

1. How does CPU power consumption affect the amount of information that can be processed?

The amount of information that can be processed by a CPU is directly related to its power consumption. The more power a CPU consumes, the faster it can process information. This is because higher power consumption allows for more electrical signals to be sent through the CPU, resulting in quicker calculations and data processing.

2. Can a CPU consume too much power and hinder its performance?

Yes, a CPU can consume too much power and hinder its performance. This is known as thermal throttling, where the CPU reduces its processing speed in order to prevent overheating. It is important for CPUs to have efficient cooling systems in order to maintain optimal performance.

3. How does the architecture of a CPU affect its power consumption?

The architecture of a CPU plays a significant role in its power consumption. Different architectures have different ways of processing information, which can result in varying power consumption levels. For example, some architectures may be more energy-efficient than others, resulting in lower power consumption.

4. Does the amount of information processed affect the power consumption of a CPU?

Yes, the amount of information processed by a CPU directly affects its power consumption. The more information that needs to be processed, the more power the CPU will consume. This is why tasks that require a lot of processing power, such as gaming or video editing, often result in higher power consumption.

5. Are there ways to reduce CPU power consumption without sacrificing performance?

Yes, there are ways to reduce CPU power consumption without sacrificing performance. One way is to use power-saving features, such as CPU throttling, which reduces the speed of the CPU when it is not being used to its full capacity. Additionally, using energy-efficient components and optimizing software can also help to reduce power consumption while maintaining performance.