CprE logic gate problem, possibly unsolvable

In summary, the conversation was about a problem posed by a professor involving a system with 3 inputs and 3 outputs, where only 2 inverters are allowed. The person speaking had tried for 4 hours to solve it but was unable to in certain instances. They had looked into using quantum gates but their understanding was limited. Another person suggested using an exclusive-OR gate to perform inversion, but the original person pointed out that this would still not solve the problem. They then shared a link to a research paper and mentioned that the problem may be too difficult for someone taking a PhD qualifying exam. A third person shared a solution from a forum discussion.
delta59

Homework Statement

I was having a casual chat with one of my professors and he presented me with a problem that after 4 hours of attempting I believe is unsolvable. the set up is pretty simple.

you have 3 inputs x,y,z that go into a system, the output is ~x,~y,~z. However you are only allowed to use 2 inverters.

I can get very close but there are a few instances where I can't get things to jive, specifically where x=0 y=0 and z=0.

Basically I want to know if this problem is solvable, I have looked into quantum gates to see if there is some way to hybrid this but my knowledge of them is limited.

Physics news on Phys.org
Other gates are allowed, but no more than 2 can be inverting?

NascentOxygen said:
Other gates are allowed, but no more than 2 can be inverting?

that is correct

So I'd just use an exclusive-OR to perform inversion. Done! :wink:

NascentOxygen said:
So I'd just use an exclusive-OR to perform inversion. Done! :wink:

A XOR gate is a inversion gate so I still run into the same problem how would you do this?

This probably counts as a spoiler..

http://www2.engr.arizona.edu/~srini/papers/Srini-Pulse-Inverter.pdf

I do not think this problem can be answered by someone in a PhD qualifying exam (say, given an entire hour for this problem alone) if that’s the first time the person is seeing the question.
:-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to CprE logic gate problem, possibly unsolvable

1. What is a CPR logic gate problem?

A CPR logic gate problem is a type of computational problem in which the goal is to design a circuit using a combination of logic gates to produce a desired output based on a given set of input values.

2. What makes a CPR logic gate problem unsolvable?

A CPR logic gate problem is considered unsolvable when there is no possible combination of logic gates that can produce the desired output for all possible input values. This can occur when there are conflicting or contradictory input-output relationships.

3. Why is the CPR logic gate problem important in science?

The CPR logic gate problem is important in science because it helps researchers and engineers understand the limitations of logic gates and circuits in solving complex computational problems. It also helps in the development of more efficient and reliable logic gate systems.

4. Can the CPR logic gate problem be solved using current technology?

There is no guarantee that the CPR logic gate problem can be solved using current technology. However, with advancements in computing power and algorithm development, it is possible that some previously unsolvable CPR logic gate problems may now have solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the CPR logic gate problem?

The CPR logic gate problem has applications in various fields, including computer science, engineering, and biology. It is used in designing computer processors, developing efficient algorithms, and understanding biological systems such as gene regulation and neural networks.