Taking the logarithm of the euler product

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of taking the logarithm of an Euler product and its relation to a specific equation involving the Riemann zeta function. The speaker is asking for an explanation on how the logarithm of the product can be expressed as a summation, using the example of a product of primes. The response clarifies that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the factors, and the added term in the equation is due to the specific properties of the zeta function.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
can some one explain to me how is taking the logarithm of euler product gives you -sum(p)[log(1-p^s)]+log(s-1)=log[(s-1)z(s)]?

my question is coming after encoutering this equation in this text in page number 2: http://claymath.org/Millennium_Prize_Problems/Riemann_Hypothesis/_objects/Official_Problem_Description.pdf

btw, does taking a logarithm out of a product gives you the summation or what?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
btw, does taking a logarithm out of a product gives you the summation or what?

I don't know if this is of any use to you... But the logarithm of a product is the sum of the logarithms of the factors. That is, log(ab) = log(a) + log(b).

yes, i know this but how can you interpret the euler product like this.
lets see it as an example the product of p is 1*2*3...*n so you take the logarithm and you get log1*2*3=log1+log2+log3 which is the summation on this i understand but why adding the term log(s-1)?

1. What is the Euler product?

The Euler product is a mathematical formula that expresses a complex function as an infinite product of simpler functions. It is named after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler.

2. Why would you take the logarithm of the Euler product?

Taking the logarithm of the Euler product can make it easier to work with and manipulate mathematically. It can also reveal certain patterns or relationships between the factors in the product.

3. How is the logarithm of the Euler product calculated?

The logarithm of the Euler product is calculated by taking the natural logarithm of each factor in the product and then summing them together. This can also be represented as a series using the properties of logarithms.

4. What are the applications of taking the logarithm of the Euler product?

The logarithm of the Euler product has many applications in mathematics and science, including in number theory, complex analysis, and probability theory. It can also be used to solve various types of equations and to derive new formulas.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to taking the logarithm of the Euler product?

One limitation of taking the logarithm of the Euler product is that it may not always be possible or useful to do so. Additionally, taking the logarithm can sometimes introduce errors or inaccuracies in calculations, so it should be used carefully and with caution.