What is the solution to the wild and unsolved problem proposed by Greg?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I think it's air. air enter in our mouth (which is one) and can exit through our nose (which has two holes [sorry for the bad terminology] and opposite as well.Water in a conduct with form of Y?A Mach-Zender interferometer. I don't know if it is the answer you're looking for, but it fits perfectly.
Enter through one, exit through two, then enter through two, exit through one.
What is being enter/exited?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is being enter/exited?
Airport security checkpoints?

1 and 2

2 and 1

A lumped element in a alternative current circuit :)
1 and 2 are its "starts" and "ends", which are equivalent in an alternative current circuit...

Your hands. Putting on and then taking off a T shirt.
Oops,,, I meant to say the shirt was he thingy bieng entered then exited.

Probably a beter thing would by the same relation on your pants considering feet?
But let's not go there, these mofos stink!

Last edited:
my answer is air. air enter in our mouth (which is one) and can exit through our nose (which has two holes [sorry for the bad terminology] and opposite as well.

Water in a conduct with form of Y?

A Mach-Zender interferometer. I don't know if it is the answer you're looking for, but it fits perfectly.

Njorl

What about elevator? Enter "though" first floor, exit through "second", then vice-versa and go home... eh? :wink:
also could be a train: enter at station A through the left door, exit at station B through right door, then from B to A in a different manner...

however, a capacitor in AC circuit fits more...

Any one of the 4 areas created by two non-paralell infinite lines in R^2. You can cross through either at the intersection - (through 2), or not: (through 1).

Originally posted by Njorl
A Mach-Zender interferometer. I don't know if it is the answer you're looking for, but it fits perfectly.

Njorl
what is A Mach-Zender interferometer?

In a Mach-Zehnder (I spelled it wrong initially) interferometer, a single beam of light enters, is split into two beams which travel identical pathlengths through an electro-optically active material, such as lithium niobate or gallium arsenide, then recombined. While the beams are seperate, one of them is subject to a slight perturbation. This usually takes the form of an applied electric field. The index of refraction that one beam experiences is slightly alterred, making it experience a slightly different path length. With the correct bias, you can induce a pi/2 phase shift in one arm of the interferrometer. This allows you to modulate the throughput signal from 0-100% at very high speeds (>100 GHz).

Edit - Just wanted to add, I worked on a rib-waveguide version of this. When I read the riddle, I thought of it immediately. We made it by combining elements we already designed - a 1 to 2 splitter and a 2 to 1 combiner - one entrance two exits, two entrances one exit.

Njorl

Last edited:
dare i to argue that the first beam of light is different from the end product when the two separated beam combined?

Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
dare i to argue that the first beam of light is different from the end product when the two separated beam combined?

In the "on" state, the beam would ideally be unalterred. Besides, when a child walks into school in the morning and leaves in the afternoon, is it the same child?

I'm sure there is a better answer. I just can't think of it because I have my MZI on the brain.

Njorl

In the "on" state, the beam would ideally be unalterred. Besides, when a child walks into school in the morning and leaves in the afternoon, is it the same child?

I'm sure there is a better answer. I just can't think of it because I have my MZI on the brain.

Njorl
but you said: " While the beams are seperate, one of them is subject to a slight perturbation."- therefore i assume the beam is separated to two beams which is encouters to something that changes something in it therefore when they combine they are different from each other.

A heart?

Enter through one right atrium, exit through two pulmonary arteries, enter through two pulmonary veins, exit through one aorta?

(It would work better if I could say, enter through one vena cava, but there are 2 of those.)

don't think is the blood in the heart, since blood from the right atrium, exit throught 1 pulmonary trunk, then enter 2 pulmonary arteries.

i was thinking about excretory system too, but too lazy... the question is kinda ambiguous.

Last edited:
Excellent brain teaser -- much better than all those ones that can be googled.

But are you sure the answer isn't pants (Achy47's second answer)?

One of these days Greg is going to make up something totally wild, with no solution in mind, just to see if we can solve it anyway.

Njorl

One of these days Greg is going to make up something totally wild, with no solution in mind, just to see if we can solve it anyway.

Njorl

haha the answer is pants! Achy47 had the idea but never really came out to say it! .5 points for him!

1. What is being entered/exited in a scientific experiment?

In a scientific experiment, "being entered" refers to the variable or condition that is being manipulated or changed by the researcher. This could be a substance, environment, or organism. "Being exited" refers to the result or outcome of the experiment that is being measured or observed.

2. Why is it important to identify what is being entered/exited in an experiment?

Identifying what is being entered/exited in an experiment is crucial for understanding the cause and effect relationship between the manipulated variable and the outcome. This helps researchers to accurately interpret their results and draw valid conclusions.

3. Can more than one thing be entered/exited in an experiment?

Yes, it is possible for multiple variables to be entered/exited in an experiment. In fact, most experiments involve multiple variables in order to study their interactions and effects on the outcome. However, it is important for the researcher to clearly define and control these variables in order to accurately interpret the results.

4. How do scientists decide what to enter/exit in an experiment?

Scientists often use prior knowledge and research to guide their decisions on what to enter/exit in an experiment. They may also conduct pilot studies or experiments to test and refine their variables before conducting a larger study.

5. Can the same thing be both entered and exited in an experiment?

Yes, it is possible for the same thing to be both entered and exited in an experiment. For example, a researcher may manipulate the amount of sunlight (entered) and then measure the growth of plants (exited) exposed to different amounts of sunlight. In this case, sunlight is both being entered and exited in the experiment.