CP properties of field strength tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the CP violation of a term in the Lagrangian involving fermions and gluon fields, with a focus on the transformation properties of the gluon field strength tensor. There is confusion regarding the different transformation properties of the derivative and non-abelian parts of the tensor, despite taking into account the sign changes from the hermiticity of ##\sigma^{\mu\nu}## and the presence of ##i## in the Lagrangian. Further clarification and discussion are needed to understand this issue.
d8586
Hi,

I am trying to figure out why a term like

## L \sim i \bar \psi_L \sigma^{\mu\nu}G_{\mu\nu}^a t^a \psi_R + h.c=##
##= i \bar \psi_L \sigma^{\mu\nu}G_{\mu\nu}^a t^a \psi_R - i \bar \psi_R \sigma^{\mu\nu}G_{\mu\nu}^a t^a \psi_L ##

violates CP by looking at all the terms composing the Lagrangian.

I made a calculation (with the guidance of http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/EP/feinberg_pr_108_878_57.pdf) and I obtained that the fermionic part withouth the ##\gamma^5##, which goes like ## \bar \psi \gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \psi ##,
transforms as

## [(-1)] [(-1)^\mu (-1)^\nu]##, first square bracket for C and second for P and #(-1)^\mu=1# for #\mu=0# and -1 otherwise

The term with the ##\gamma^5## transforms as

## [(-1)] [(-1) (-1)^\mu (-1)^\nu ]##

and naively, by writing ##G_{\mu\nu}=\partial_\mu G_\nu - \partial_\nu G_\mu## and taking into account the vector properties of ##G_\mu## and that ##C(G)=-1## I assumed that the field strength transforms as

## [(-1)] [(-1)^\mu (-1)^\nu]##

In this way, under CP, the lagrangian goes into

## L \sim i \bar \psi_R \sigma^{\mu\nu}G_{\mu\nu}^a t^a \psi_L + h.c## which implies CP violation, by comparing to the second term of the original lagrangian, since there is a sign difference. In case where there is no ##\gamma^5## CP is preserved.

However I was then thinking a bit more about this and immediately realized that

##G_{\mu\nu}=\partial_\mu G_\nu - \partial_\nu G_\mu + i [G_\mu,G_\nu]##

it seems to me that the derivative terms have the following CP properties

##\mu=0, \nu=i~~ P=-1, C=-1 \to CP=+1##
##\mu=i, \nu=j ~~ P=+1, C=-1 \to CP=-1##

whereas the ##G^2## proportional term seems to go

##\mu=0, \nu=i ~~ P=-1, C=+1 \to CP=-1##
##\mu=i, \nu=j ~~ P=+1, C=+1 \to CP=+1##

where ##C=+1## since I have two fields that have ##C=-1##. This has opposite transformation property of the derivative part. Where I am mistaking?

Thanks a lot!

This is definitely an interesting question, I'm just a bit confused as to what exactly you're asking. You're trying to pull apart and manipulate that lagrangian to check for CP violation? It's been a little while for me but can you use a test function? Like Greg said, if you could reword it a little bit I would be interested in helping you get to the bottom of this.

It could be that σμν is not hermitian.

Hi All,
Sorry for my silence but I've been offline for a bit.

So, to rephrase it a bit, I could say that I don't understand the CP properties transformation of the gluon fields strength tensor, since it seems to me that the derivative part and the pure non-abelian part (the G^2 term) have different transformation properties. Of course there is something I am missing here, but I don't know what...

To reply to my2cts, yes, ##\sigma^{\mu\nu}## is not hermitian, it's h.c. picks up a sign, but then you have a ##i## in the Lagrangian that fixes the issue.

Related to CP properties of field strength tensor

1. What is the CP property of the field strength tensor?

The CP property of the field strength tensor refers to the charge conjugation (C) and parity (P) symmetry properties of the tensor. It describes how the tensor behaves under the transformation of switching particles with their antiparticles (C) and flipping the direction of space (P).

2. How is the CP property related to the strong nuclear force?

The strong nuclear force, which binds the nucleus of an atom together, is described by the theory of quantum chromodynamics (QCD). The CP property of the field strength tensor is an essential component of QCD and helps to explain the behavior of particles and antiparticles in the strong nuclear force.

3. Can the CP property of the field strength tensor change?

No, the CP property of the field strength tensor is a fundamental property of the tensor and cannot be changed. It is a fundamental aspect of the way particles and antiparticles interact with each other in the strong nuclear force.

4. How does the CP property of the field strength tensor affect particle interactions?

The CP property of the field strength tensor plays a crucial role in determining the strength of interactions between particles. For example, particles with opposite CP properties will interact more weakly than particles with the same CP properties.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the CP property of the field strength tensor?

Understanding the CP property of the field strength tensor is essential for studying and predicting the behavior of particles in high-energy physics experiments. It also has practical applications in technologies such as nuclear power and medical imaging.