Cp/Cv ratio experimental error

Another possibility could be errors in the measurement or calculation process. Overall, there are a few potential reasons for the lower ratio and further investigation or experimentation may be needed to determine the exact cause. In summary, the experiment involved pressurizing a vessel and observing the Cp/Cv ratio, which was slightly lower than expected. Possible causes for this lower ratio include leaks in the equipment, temperature differences between the vessels, or errors in measurement or calculation.
JohnJJ

Homework Statement

Hello, Everyone!

So I recently did an experiment in which I pressurised a vessel and then allowed some of the air to move into a smaller vessel and wait for the pressures to stabilise. I then calculated the Cp/Cv ratio and it was slightly lower than the expected 1.40. I am wondering what would cause the value to be lower

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For a start I think that the equipment was a bit leaky, which would make me think that the pressure would drop so the value of Cp would be smaller, lowering the ratio.

I'm a bit stuck for any others, can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
One other possible cause for the lower Cp/Cv ratio could be that the temperature of the air was not the same between the two vessels. If the temperature of the air in the smaller vessel was lower than the air in the larger vessel, then the Cp/Cv ratio would be lower than expected.

Related to Cp/Cv ratio experimental error

What is the Cp/Cv ratio and why is it important in experimental research?

The Cp/Cv ratio refers to the ratio of specific heat capacities at constant pressure (Cp) and constant volume (Cv). It is a fundamental property of a substance and is important in experimental research as it helps to determine the thermodynamic behavior and energy storage capacity of a material.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the Cp/Cv ratio in experimental measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the Cp/Cv ratio in experimental measurements. These include instrument calibration errors, variations in sample preparation, and human error in recording data. The type of substance being measured and the experimental conditions can also impact the accuracy of the ratio.

How can one reduce experimental errors when measuring the Cp/Cv ratio?

To reduce experimental errors when measuring the Cp/Cv ratio, it is important to carefully calibrate instruments, standardize sample preparation methods, and minimize human error in data recording. It is also helpful to repeat measurements multiple times and take the average to improve accuracy.

What is the acceptable range for the Cp/Cv ratio in experimental measurements?

The acceptable range for the Cp/Cv ratio in experimental measurements can vary depending on the substance being measured and the experimental conditions. Generally, a ratio within 5% of the expected value is considered acceptable. However, this may vary in different fields of research.

How can one use the Cp/Cv ratio in practical applications?

The Cp/Cv ratio is a useful parameter in various practical applications, such as in the design of heat exchange systems and in the development of new materials for energy storage. It can also be used to calculate thermodynamic properties and predict the behavior of substances under different conditions.