Covariant vector differentiation problem with kronecker delta?

In summary: However, in the case of the Kronecker delta, you differentiate with respect to A_{\nu} and get \frac{\partial A_{\rho}}{\partial A_{\nu}} = \delta^{\nu}_{\rho} Why is this? I think it has something to do with the way that the transformation matrix is diagonalized.
randombill
I'm having trouble understanding the proof/solution below (please see photo, I also wrote out the problem below). I highlighted the part of my problem in red (in the picture attached). Basically I'm not sure what identity they use to get the Kronecker delta after differentiating or whether they use something else to get that part.

"Since A/[itex]\nu[/itex] is covariant vector, it satisfies

A/[itex]\nu[/itex] = ([itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]\rho[/itex][itex]/[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex]x/[itex]\nu[/itex])A[itex]\rho[/itex]

A/[itex]\rho[/itex] = ([itex]\partial[/itex]x/[itex]\mu[/itex][itex]/[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]\rho[/itex])A/[itex]\mu[/itex]

This next part gives me trouble with the relation:

([itex]\partial[/itex]A[itex]\rho[/itex][itex]/[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex]A/[itex]\nu[/itex]) = ([itex]\partial[/itex]x/[itex]\nu[/itex][itex]/[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]\rho[/itex]) [itex]\delta[/itex][itex]\nu[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex]

I'm lost as to how the kronecker delta appears. I know that

([itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]\nu[/itex][itex]/[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]\mu[/itex]) = [itex]\delta[/itex][itex]\nu[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex]

[Mod Note: Over-sized image removed. See attachment. Hoot]

Attachments

• question3.bmp
    174 KB · Views: 1,298
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I updated the question without the photo, thanks.

One has
[tex]
\frac{\partial A_{\rho}}{\partial A'_{\nu}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial A'_{\nu}} \frac{\partial x^{'\mu}}{\partial x^{\rho}} A'_{\mu} = \frac{\partial x^{'\mu}}{\partial x^{\rho}}\frac{\partial A'_{\mu}}{\partial A'_{\nu}}
[/tex]
So the functional derivative wrt A goes right to the transformation matrix. The primes on the fields A can then safely be removed; the components of A are a priori linear independent, if you write them in a primed coordinate system or not (the prime is just a label now). This is where the delta comes from:
[tex]
\frac{\partial A_{\rho}}{\partial A'_{\nu}} = \frac{\partial x^{'\mu}}{\partial x^{\rho}}\delta^{\nu}_{\mu}
[/tex]

So the functional derivative wrt A goes right to the transformation matrix. The primes on the fields A can then safely be removed; the components of A are a priori linear independent, if you write them in a primed coordinate system or not (the prime is just a label now). This is where the delta comes from:

What does wrt mean? Written?
What does priori linear independent mean?

Are there missing steps that you aren't showing, maybe that would help.

Forgive me I'm still confused, what math class teaches this in terms of schooling or what theorem are you using. I never really studied this formally. I did take linear algebra once and studied linear independence but not related to calculus and matrices.

thanks.

Last edited:
wrt means "with respect to".

"a priori" is maybe confusing; I meant "from the outset". A field without any symmetries and no constraints imposed has linear independent components per definition. So a vector has linear independent components, which is expressed as

[tex]
\frac{\partial A_{\rho}}{\partial A_{\nu}} = \delta^{\nu}_{\rho}
[/tex]

Similarly, for a tensor T,

[tex]
\frac{\partial T_{\mu\nu}}{\partial T_{\rho\sigma}} = \delta^{\rho}_{\mu} \delta^{\sigma}_{\nu}
[/tex]

Etc.
This of course changes whenever T is symmetric or antisymmetric!

By the way, these are functional derivatives, so you would like to look at that.

haushofer said:
[tex]
\frac{\partial A_{\rho}}{\partial A_{\nu}} = \delta^{\nu}_{\rho}
[/tex]

Why does the subscript for the vectors flip in the kronecker delta?

thanks.

Because you differentiate with respect to A_{\nu}. Compare with an ordinary derivative:

[tex]
\partial_{\mu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}
[/tex]

Related to Covariant vector differentiation problem with kronecker delta?

1. What is a covariant vector differentiation problem with Kronecker delta?

A covariant vector differentiation problem with Kronecker delta refers to a mathematical concept in vector calculus where a vector field is differentiated with respect to a set of coordinates using the Kronecker delta as a coefficient.

2. What is the role of the Kronecker delta in this problem?

The Kronecker delta serves as a coefficient in the differentiation process, allowing for the transformation of a covariant vector under a change of coordinates.

3. How is the covariant vector differentiated in this problem?

The covariant vector is differentiated using the Kronecker delta as a coefficient in the chain rule. The result is a new vector field that is covariant with respect to the new set of coordinates.

4. What are the applications of this covariant vector differentiation problem?

This problem is often used in theoretical physics and mathematical modeling to transform vector fields under different coordinate systems. It is also useful in the study of fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Kronecker delta in this problem?

While the Kronecker delta is a useful tool in solving covariant vector differentiation problems, it does have limitations. It can only be used in certain coordinate systems and is not applicable in situations where the coordinates are not linearly related.