Covariant and contravariat components

In summary, the conversation discussed a confusion about writing the equation $$v=\sum_{i=0} e_i v^i$$ as $$v=\sum_{i=0} e_i e^i v$$. It was clarified that the correct form is the former, as the latter would result in incorrect inner products. The individual was able to resolve their confusion.
mertcan
hi, Initially I would like to ask a little and basic question: I know that $$v=\sum_{i=0} e_i v^i$$ where $$v^i=e^i v$$ But sometimes I think we can write the first equation like $$v=\sum_{i=0} e_i e^i v$$, and I am aware that $$e_i e^i=1$$ , then our equation becomes $$v=\sum_{i=0} v$$, ın short if we take the sum over i at the end, our equation becomes v=3v or v=5v...Could you help me get over this confusion I have sometimes in my mind? Very thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
You really should start writing out your inner products or you will keep making mistakes like this. What appears in your third sum is not ##(\vec e_i \cdot \vec e^i)\vec v##, it is ##\vec e_i (\vec e^i \cdot \vec v)##.

ok I got it I managed to ensure the derivation myself. Thanks...

Related to Covariant and contravariat components

1. What is the difference between covariant and contravariant components?

Covariant and contravariant components are two types of vectors in the mathematical field of tensor analysis. The main difference between them lies in how they transform under coordinate transformations. Covariant components transform in the same way as the coordinates, while contravariant components transform in the opposite direction.

2. How are covariant and contravariant components related to each other?

Covariant and contravariant components are related by a mathematical operation called raising and lowering indices. This operation allows for the conversion of a vector's components from one type to the other. In simple terms, raising an index converts a contravariant vector to a covariant vector, and lowering an index converts a covariant vector to a contravariant vector.

3. What are some real-world applications of covariant and contravariant components?

Covariant and contravariant components have various applications in physics and engineering, especially in fields such as general relativity, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism. These concepts are used to describe physical quantities that are dependent on the choice of coordinate system, such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

4. How do covariant and contravariant components play a role in tensor calculus?

Tensors are mathematical objects that are used to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In tensor calculus, covariant and contravariant components are used to express the transformation properties of tensors under coordinate transformations. This is essential for solving complex mathematical problems in physics and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using covariant and contravariant components?

One limitation of using covariant and contravariant components is that they may not be suitable for describing certain physical phenomena, such as non-Euclidean spaces. In these cases, alternative mathematical concepts, such as affine connections, may be more appropriate. Additionally, handling and manipulating tensors with both covariant and contravariant components can be challenging and require advanced mathematical knowledge.