Covariant and Contravariant Vector

In summary, the problem involves finding the components of a covariant vector field at a given point, and then using that information to solve for the components of both a covariant and a contravariant tensor. The notation used is lower indexes for covariant tensors and upper indexes for contravariant tensors. The calculations for the covariant tensor are correct, but the calculations for the contravariant tensor are causing confusion.
andrey21
I have been given the following problem:

The covariant vector field is:

\(v_{i}\) = \begin{matrix} x+y\\ x-y\end{matrix}What are the components for this vector field at (4,1)?

\(v_{i}\) = \begin{matrix} 5\\ 3\end{matrix}

Now I can use this information to solve the following:\(\bar{V_\alpha}\)But am unsure for \(\bar{V^\alpha}\).

I imagine it would be a similar approach with a few changes. Any help would be brilliant thank you :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean to write a matrix, you could have used
Code:
\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 4 \end{bmatrix}
to output
$$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 4 \end{bmatrix}$$

Let us fix some notation here: are you using lower indexes to indicate covariant tensors and upper to indicate contravariant, or the other way around? Also, what are $\overline{V_\alpha}$ and $\overline{V}^{\alpha}$? I'm a little confused, if you could clarify perhaps we could arrive at an answer together. :D

At a first glance though, your calculations look correct, although I can't see where they headed because I don't understand what the symbols are meant to represent.

My calculations are quite long and would take me a very long time to write them out in LaTeX. I would like to include an attachment but am unsure how to delete old ones to make room.

Hey AA23, you still haven't answered my last questions: what do these $\overline{V_\alpha}$, $\overline{V}^{\alpha}$ mean? Also, it seemed you had

$$v_i = \begin{bmatrix} x+y \\ x-y \end{bmatrix},$$

to which you applied at the point $(4,1)$, getting

$$v_i (4,1) = \begin{bmatrix} 5+1 \\ 5-1 \end{bmatrix}.$$

Are there other calculations? Also, we let column matrices denote vectors and we use line matrices to denote covetors, so perhaps that would be

$$v^i = \begin{bmatrix} x+y & x-y \end{bmatrix} .$$

\(\bar{V_{\alpha}}\) represents a covariant tensor

\(\bar{V^{\alpha}}\) represents a contravariant tensor Yes I can solve the question to find the components of

\(\bar{V_{\alpha}}\)

But come stuck when finding them for

\(\bar{V^{\alpha}}\)

Related to Covariant and Contravariant Vector

What is the difference between covariant and contravariant vectors?

Covariant and contravariant vectors are two types of vectors used in mathematics, physics, and engineering. The main difference between them lies in how they transform under coordinate transformations. Covariant vectors change their components according to the transformation matrix, while contravariant vectors change their components in the opposite way.

How do covariant and contravariant vectors relate to each other?

Covariant and contravariant vectors are related by the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that relates the two types of vectors. The metric tensor allows us to convert between covariant and contravariant vectors, making it possible to work with both types of vectors in the same coordinate system.

Why are covariant and contravariant vectors important?

Covariant and contravariant vectors are important because they allow us to describe physical quantities in a coordinate-independent way. This is necessary in physics, as the laws of nature should not depend on the coordinate system chosen to describe them. Covariant and contravariant vectors also play a crucial role in fields such as differential geometry, relativity, and quantum mechanics.

How do covariant and contravariant vectors behave under rotations?

Covariant vectors behave like scalars under rotations, meaning their components do not change. On the other hand, contravariant vectors transform in the same way as the basis vectors under rotations. This means their components change, but their magnitude and direction remain the same.

Can covariant and contravariant vectors be visualized?

Covariant and contravariant vectors can be visualized as arrows or directed line segments in a coordinate system. However, it is important to note that their transformation properties are more important than their visual representation. In some cases, it may be easier to work with covariant and contravariant components rather than visualizing them as vectors.