Coupled spring pendulum (harmonic oscillation)

In summary: TSny I see. Well I had to read about normal modes and I must say I don't really understand what is happening there. Is there a way to make it more intuitive? I mean, we have two masses, each with an oscillation frequency (ω1 and ω2), but then there is a normal mode frequency ω which is not necessarily equal to any of those. Is that right? And why is it so?Thank you again for your very precious help.Julien.Yes, it is correct, and the normal mode frequency is generally different from both of the individual frequencies.The general motion of the system is a linear combination of the two normal modes. For a normal mode, both masses oscillate
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody!

Two masses m1 and m2 are connected with a spring one after the other to a wall (see attached picture). The spring constants are k1 and k2. To consider here are only longitudinal oscillations and no external forces.
a) Express the Newtonian equations of motion, when x1 and x2 represent the deflections of the two masses.
b) Calculate the eigenfrequency ωi of the coupled system for the case m1 = m2 = m and k1 = k2 = k. A possible approach is x1 = A⋅cos(ωt) and x2 = B⋅cos(ωt). An explicit isolation of the equations of oscillation is here not necessary.

Homework Equations

spring forces, differential equations for motion

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay I'm still pretty confused about such oscillations (and unfortunately differential equations as well :frown:), but I gave it a go by trying to determine the acceleration for each mass:

a)
m1⋅a1 = FF1 - FF12 (see picture)
⇔ m1⋅d2x1/dt2 = -k1x1 + k2(x2 - x1)
⇔ m1⋅d2x1/dt2 + k1⋅x1 - k2⋅x2 + k2⋅x1 = 0

m2⋅a2 = FF21 (see picture)
⇔ m2⋅d2x2/dt2 = - k2(x2 - x1)
⇔ m2⋅d2x2/dt2 + k2⋅x2 - k2⋅x1 = 0

Is that correct? Am I to do anything more to those equations or is that a sufficient answer to a)?

b)
Here I don't really know what I should be doing... I coupled the equations from a) together and applied m1 = m2 = m and k1 = k2 = k:

m⋅d2x1/dt2 + m⋅d2x2/dt2 + k⋅x1 - k⋅x2 + k⋅x1 + k⋅x2 - k⋅x1 = 0
⇔ m⋅(d2x1/dt2 + d2x2/dt2) + k⋅x1 = 0

Then I substituted d2x1/2/dt2 with their respective second derivatives:

m⋅(-A⋅ω2⋅cos(ω⋅t) - B⋅ω2⋅cos(ωt)) + k⋅(A⋅cos(ωt)) = 0
⇔ m⋅ω2⋅(A + B) = k⋅A
⇔ ω2 = k⋅A/m⋅(A + B)
⇔ ω = √(k⋅A/m⋅(A+B))

That's something... But to be honest I have almost no idea what I am doing, I just try to progress in the direction of what the problem asks me. Does ωi mean there is a different frequency for each mass? Should I be able to substitute A and B with something else?Thank you very much for your answers, I appreciate it.Julien.

Attachments

• Photo 29-03-16 14 53 01.jpg
    Photo 29-03-16 14 53 01.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
JulienB said:

Homework Statement

Hi everybody!

Two masses m1 and m2 are connected with a spring one after the other to a wall (see attached picture). The spring constants are k1 and k2. To consider here are only longitudinal oscillations and no external forces.
a) Express the Newtonian equations of motion, when x1 and x2 represent the deflections of the two masses.
b) Calculate the eigenfrequency ωi of the coupled system for the case m1 = m2 = m and k1 = k2 = k. A possible approach is x1 = A⋅cos(ωt) and x2 = B⋅cos(ωt). An explicit isolation of the equations of oscillation is here not necessary.

Homework Equations

spring forces, differential equations for motion

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay I'm still pretty confused about such oscillations (and unfortunately differential equations as well :frown:), but I gave it a go by trying to determine the acceleration for each mass:

a)
m1⋅a1 = FF1 - FF12 (see picture)
⇔ m1⋅d2x1/dt2 = -k1x1 + k2(x2 - x1)
⇔ m1⋅d2x1/dt2 + k1⋅x1 - k2⋅x2 + k2⋅x1 = 0

m2⋅a2 = FF21 (see picture)
⇔ m2⋅d2x2/dt2 = - k2(x2 - x1)
⇔ m2⋅d2x2/dt2 + k2⋅x2 - k2⋅x1 = 0

Is that correct? Am I to do anything more to those equations or is that a sufficient answer to a)?
Yes, it is correct, and a sufficient answer to a).
JulienB said:
b)
Here I don't really know what I should be doing... I coupled the equations from a) together and applied m1 = m2 = m and k1 = k2 = k:

m⋅d2x1/dt2 + m⋅d2x2/dt2 + k⋅x1 - k⋅x2 + k⋅x1 + k⋅x2 - k⋅x1 = 0
⇔ m⋅(d2x1/dt2 + d2x2/dt2) + k⋅x1 = 0

Then I substituted d2x1/2/dt2 with their respective second derivatives:

m⋅(-A⋅ω2⋅cos(ω⋅t) - B⋅ω2⋅cos(ωt)) + k⋅(A⋅cos(ωt)) = 0
⇔ m⋅ω2⋅(A + B) = k⋅A
⇔ ω2 = k⋅A/m⋅(A + B)
⇔ ω = √(k⋅A/m⋅(A+B))

That's something... But to be honest I have almost no idea what I am doing, I just try to progress in the direction of what the problem asks me. Does ωi mean there is a different frequency for each mass? Should I be able to substitute A and B with something else?Thank you very much for your answers, I appreciate it.Julien.
You do not need to couple the equations at the beginning, just substitute the trial solution x1=Acos(wt), x2=Bcos(wt). You get a homogeneous linear system of equations for A and B which has nonzero solution at certain w-s. These are the two eigenfrequencies of the system. Both masses move with these angular frequencies when performing a "normal mode". The general motion is a linear combination of these normal modes.

Likes JulienB and BvU
Hi, Julien!

Your answer for part (a) looks good to me.

For part (b), I think you just need to substitute the expressions x1 = Acosωt and x2 = Bcosωt into your equations from part(a) and solve for ω.

Likes JulienB
@ehild @TSny Thank you both for your answers, it's very reassuring to have something correct! :biggrin:

Unfortunately b) is still not working so well. I didn't mix the two equations and labeled ω1 and ω2, but this turned into a nightmare (see attached picture). I didn't go further yet, because I guess I'm not using the right method. Any advice?

Thank you so much.Julien.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 375
Am I allowed to replace the k/m in my last expressions by ω22?

JulienB said:
Am I allowed to replace the k/m in my last expressions by ω22?
For convenience, you can let k/m be represented by ωo2, say. But ωo does not represent the angular frequency of either mass when the system is oscillating in a normal mode. For a normal mode, each mass oscillates with the same angular frequency ω which you want to determine.

After simplifying your equations from part (a) for the special case of equal masses and spring constants, substitute the given expressions for x1 and x2 and solve for ω in terms of ωo.

Likes JulienB
You have two equations from part (a). After substituting the given expressions for x1 and x2, you should have two equations involving A, B, and ω. But, try to write these in terms of just ω and the ratio A/B. You then have two equations for two unknowns: ω and A/B.

Likes JulienB
@TSny Thank you again for your answer (and a special thanks for your help on all my other posts as well :) ). I will give it some thought and trial and come back tomorrow with a new attempt at solving it.

Julien.

Do not mix terms with ω1 and ω2. Both masses move with the same frequency. Substitute just x1=Acos(ωt) and x2=Bcos(ωt) into the differential equations. After differentiation, you can simplify the equations by cos(ωt), and you get two equations for A, B, and ω. You get two solutions, with two values for ω.

Likes JulienB
Okay I come back with a new solution. I think it is correct now, but there is still a few things I'd like to clarify for myself:

So by substituting x1 and x2 inside my equations from a), I get:

1) -m⋅A⋅ω2⋅cos(ω1⋅t) + 2⋅k⋅A⋅cos(ω1⋅t) - k⋅B⋅cos(ω2⋅t) = 0
2) -m⋅B⋅ω2⋅cos(ω2⋅t) + k⋅B⋅cos(ω2⋅t) - k⋅A⋅cos(ω1⋅t) = 0

Then I wondered what would the equation show me at t=0:

1') -m⋅A⋅ω2 + 2⋅k⋅A - k⋅B = 0 ⇔ A(2⋅k - m⋅ω2) = k⋅B
2') -m⋅B⋅ω2 + k⋅B - k⋅A = 0 ⇔ A = B(k - m⋅ω2)/k

Am I allowed to do that? I'm not sure how to consider ω, ω1, ω2... Can someone explain what each one represents in the system? Like why can I use ω without subscript? Because now I don't know if they cancel because t = 0 or if because cos(ω1⋅t) is to be considered equal to ω2...

Anyway, when I input 2') in 1'), I get:

(k - m⋅ω2)⋅(2k - m⋅ω2) = k2

Solving for ω I get ω1/2 = √(((3 ± √5)/2)⋅(k/m)). Does that make sense?

Thank you very much for your help, I'm getting there!Julien.

JulienB said:
Okay I come back with a new solution. I think it is correct now, but there is still a few things I'd like to clarify for myself:

So by substituting x1 and x2 inside my equations from a), I get:

1) -m⋅A⋅ω2⋅cos(ω1⋅t) + 2⋅k⋅A⋅cos(ω1⋅t) - k⋅B⋅cos(ω2⋅t) = 0
2) -m⋅B⋅ω2⋅cos(ω2⋅t) + k⋅B⋅cos(ω2⋅t) - k⋅A⋅cos(ω1⋅t) = 0

You substituted wrong expressions for x1 and x2, and your second derivatives are also wrong. the second derivative of cos(ω1t) is
12cos(ω1t),
and that of cos(ω2t) is
22cos(ω2t).
Both objects move with the same frequency. x1=A cos(ωt) and x2=Bcos(ωt). Substitute these expressions into the differential equation.

@ehild Hi and thanks for your answer. I don't get it, you mean I should not have ignored the subscript on the ω or that the derivative is completely wrong? The second derivative of A⋅cos(ω1⋅t) is -A⋅ω12⋅cos(ω1⋅t) right?

JulienB said:
@ehild Hi and thanks for your answer. I don't get it, you mean I should not have ignored the subscript on the ω or that the derivative is completely wrong? The second derivative of A⋅cos(ω1⋅t) is -A⋅ω12⋅cos(ω1⋅t) right?
There is an ω1 and ω2 because there are two frequencies at which the system can oscillate 'nicely'. But in each case, each mass oscillates at that common frequency. So handle all the equations with just ω, and you should end up with a quadratic for its value.

Likes JulienB
JulienB said:
Yes, your derivatives are completely wrong.What is the second derivative of cos(3t), for example? is it not -9cos(3t) ?
You should find solutions of the system of differential equations where all objects move with the same ω. All replies said that already.
You get two ω-s, that means, the problem has two solutions, two different vibrations.These vibrations are called the normal modes of the system, and the general solution is a linear combination of these normal modes. You will learn about it later.

Last edited:
Likes JulienB
@haruspex @ehild Thank you for your answers. I'll try to make the best of it.

ehild said:
Yes, your derivatives are completely wrong.

That's very sad! :cry: And I still don't exactly get why I'm afraid...Let's start b) all over again with the solutions given in the problem:

x1 = A⋅cos(ωt) and x2 = B⋅cos(ωt)

I take their first and second derivatives:

x1' = -A⋅ω⋅sin(ωt) and x2' = -B⋅ω⋅sin(ωt)
x1'' = -A⋅ω2⋅cos(ωt) and x2'' = -B⋅ω2⋅cos(ωt)

The only difference with what I've done in my last post is to take ω instead of ω1/2, like haruspex said.

Then I input those in the equations I got in a):

1) -m⋅A⋅ω2⋅cos(ωt) + k⋅A⋅cos(ωt) - k⋅B⋅cos(ωt) + k⋅A⋅cos(ωt) = 0
2) -m⋅B⋅ω2⋅cos(ωt) + k⋅B⋅cos(ωt) - k⋅A⋅cos(ωt) = 0

from which I get:

1') (2⋅k - m⋅ω2)⋅A = k⋅B
2') A = (k - m⋅ω2)⋅B/k

I input 2') in 1'):

(2⋅k - m⋅ω2)⋅(k - m⋅ω2)⋅B/k = k⋅B

I remove the B, multiply by k on both sides and I get:

ω4 - 3⋅(k/m)⋅ω2 + k2/m2 = 0

I solve using the quadratic formula but get the same result as before:

ω2 = (3/2)(k/m) ± √((9/4)(k2/m2) - (k2/m2))
ω1 = √((3 + √5)k/(2n) and ω2 = √((3 - √5)k/(2n)

It's the same strange looking result I got in my previous post, only I used one frequence for both equations as you advised me and solved for ω. Is that the right way to deal with it? I guess by practice I'll visualize it better and better.Julien.

JulienB said:
@haruspex @ehild Thank you for your answers. I'll try to make the best of it.

I solve using the quadratic formula but get the same result as before:

ω2 = (3/2)(k/m) ± √((9/4)(k2/m2) - (k2/m2))
ω1 = √((3 + √5)k/(2n) and ω2 = √((3 - √5)k/(2n)

It's the same strange looking result I got in my previous post, only I used one frequence for both equations as you advised me and solved for ω. Is that the right way to deal with it? I guess by practice I'll visualize it better and better..
There is only a typo now (n instead of m). [tex]\omega_1=\sqrt{\frac {k}{2m} (3+\sqrt{5})}[/tex]
[tex]\omega_2=\sqrt{\frac {k}{2m} (3-\sqrt{5})}[/tex]

Likes JulienB
@ehild Alright, thank you very much for all your help and sorry for getting it slowly :) thank you @haruspex too!

Related to Coupled spring pendulum (harmonic oscillation)

1. What is a coupled spring pendulum?

A coupled spring pendulum, also known as a double pendulum, is a physical system consisting of two pendulums connected by a flexible spring. This system exhibits complex, chaotic motion due to the interaction between the two pendulums.

2. What is harmonic oscillation?

Harmonic oscillation refers to the repetitive back-and-forth motion of a system around a stable equilibrium point. It is characterized by a sinusoidal pattern, with the system moving back to its original position after completing one cycle.

3. How does a coupled spring pendulum behave?

A coupled spring pendulum exhibits a phenomenon known as "chaotic motion". This means that the motion of the pendulums is highly sensitive to initial conditions and can be unpredictable. The pendulums may swing in a variety of patterns, including regular, chaotic, or even seemingly random motions.

4. What affects the behavior of a coupled spring pendulum?

The behavior of a coupled spring pendulum is affected by various factors, including the length of the pendulums, the stiffness of the spring, and the initial conditions (such as the angle and velocity of the pendulums). Other external factors, such as air resistance, can also affect the motion of the pendulums.

5. What are the real-life applications of a coupled spring pendulum?

Coupled spring pendulums have various applications in science and engineering, including studying chaotic behavior and modeling complex systems. They are also used in seismology to study earthquake patterns and in robotics to develop more efficient and stable movement. Additionally, coupled spring pendulums have been used in art and music installations to create visually and acoustically interesting effects.