Coupled Generalized Momentum & Hamiltonian Mechanics

Your Name]In summary, the speaker has shared a brilliantly engineered system consisting of a bead-on-a-circular-loop attached to a block and a spring. The Lagrangian for this system is given, but the speaker is stuck on how to solve for the coupled generalized momenta. Suggestions are given to rewrite the Lagrangian in terms of the generalized coordinates, use Euler-Lagrange equations, and eliminate velocities to solve for the momenta in terms of the coordinates.
jdwood983
I have a brilliantly engineered system of a bead-on-a-circular-loop (mass=[itex]m[/itex]) rigidly attached to a massive block (mass=[itex]M[/itex]) on one side and a spring on the other. The spring motion is constrained to be in [itex]x[/itex]-direction only, while the bead is free to move on the wire anyway it wants to (no [itex]\phi[/itex] dependence though). Simple picture looks like:

|\/\/\/\/\/-O-[]

With O being the bead-on-a-loop part, \/\/\/\/ is the spring (spring constant=[itex]k[/itex]), and [] is the block. I set [itex]x[/itex] to be the from the left wall to the center of the loop and the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to be the counter-clockwise angle from the [itex]+x[/itex] axis. In doing this, I got the Lagrangian to be:

[tex]
L=\frac{1}{2}\left(M+m\right)\dot{x}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}mr^{2}\dot{\theta}^{2}-mr\dot{x}\dot{\theta}\sin\theta-\frac{1}{2}kx^{2}-mgr\sin\theta
[/tex]

but when I take my Legendre transform,

[tex]
p_{x}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{x}}=(M+m)\dot{x}-mr\dot{\theta}\sin\theta
[/tex]

[tex]
p_{\theta}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{\theta}}=r^{2}\dot{\theta}-mr\dot{x}\sin\theta
[/tex]

I have never seen a problem with a coupled generalized momenta like this and am stuck here. I tried solving it in a linear equation, but it kept looping through like a thousand times (okay, I didn't really go that far, but after the second time you see that you'll endlessly repeat yourself).

I am not sure what to do, any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your brilliantly engineered system with us. I can understand your confusion about the coupled generalized momenta in your Lagrangian. However, I believe there is a way to solve this problem.

Firstly, I suggest rewriting your Lagrangian in terms of the generalized coordinates x and \theta instead of the velocities \dot{x} and \dot{\theta}. This will give you a Lagrangian of the form L=L(x,\theta,\dot{x},\dot{\theta}). Then, you can use the Euler-Lagrange equations to obtain the equations of motion for x and \theta.

Next, you can use the equations of motion to eliminate the velocities \dot{x} and \dot{\theta} from your expressions for the generalized momenta p_x and p_\theta. This will give you a set of equations that relate the generalized momenta to the generalized coordinates and their time derivatives.

Finally, you can use these equations to solve for the generalized momenta in terms of the generalized coordinates and their time derivatives. This will give you a set of equations that relate the momenta to the coordinates, which you can then use to solve for the motion of your system.

I hope this helps you in solving your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any more clarification.

Related to Coupled Generalized Momentum & Hamiltonian Mechanics

1. What is the concept of coupled generalized momentum?

Coupled generalized momentum is a concept in mechanics that refers to the total momentum of a system, taking into account the momentum of all the individual particles or bodies within the system. It is a vector quantity that is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In simple terms, it is a measure of the amount of motion possessed by a system as a whole.

2. How is coupled generalized momentum different from ordinary momentum?

Ordinary momentum refers to the momentum of a single particle or body, while coupled generalized momentum takes into account the total momentum of a system. This means that coupled generalized momentum is a more comprehensive measure of the overall motion of a system, rather than just one individual component.

3. What is the role of Hamiltonian mechanics in coupled generalized momentum?

Hamiltonian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of physical systems. It is closely related to the concept of coupled generalized momentum, as it provides a way to calculate the total momentum of a system and how it changes over time. This framework is particularly useful in studying complex systems with many interacting parts.

4. Can coupled generalized momentum be conserved?

Yes, coupled generalized momentum can be conserved in a closed system, meaning that no external forces or impulses act upon the system. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum, and it states that the total momentum of a system remains constant over time. However, in most real-world systems, there are external forces at play, so coupled generalized momentum is not always conserved.

5. How is coupled generalized momentum used in practical applications?

Coupled generalized momentum has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of collisions and explosions, as well as in the design of rockets and other vehicles. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and satellites. Additionally, coupled generalized momentum is used in the development of control systems for robots and other mechanical devices.