Couple calculations Polar to Rectangular Form

In summary, polar form represents complex numbers using their distance from the origin and the angle they make with the positive real axis, while rectangular form uses their real and imaginary parts. To convert from polar to rectangular form, you can use the formulas: x = magnitude * cos(argument) and y = magnitude * sin(argument). Converting from polar to rectangular form allows for easier manipulation and calculation of complex numbers, as well as a better understanding of their geometric properties. Negative angles can also be converted to rectangular form, with the angle measured counterclockwise from the positive real axis. To calculate the modulus and argument of a complex number in rectangular form, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and inverse tangent function, respectively.
shaltera

Homework Statement

I need to find i1+i2

Homework Equations

for i1=0.092<-98.86
i2=-4i1-j10/25=-4i1-0.4

i1=0.092<-98.86
x=rcosθ=0.092cos(-98.86)=-0.0142
y=rsinθ=0.092sin(-98.86)=-0.0909
i1=-0.0142-j0.0909

Therefor
i2=-4(-0.0142-j0.0909)-j0.4=0.568+j3636-j0.4=0.568-j0.0364i1+i2=-0.0142-j0.0909+0.568-j0.0364=0.0426-0.j1273

Covert 0.0426-0.j1273 to polar form i1+i2=0.1342<-71.4976

Correct?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations look fine.

Likes 1 person

Related to Couple calculations Polar to Rectangular Form

1. What is the difference between polar and rectangular form?

Polar form is a way of representing complex numbers using their distance from the origin (also known as the magnitude or modulus) and the angle they make with the positive real axis (also known as the argument or phase). Rectangular form, on the other hand, represents complex numbers using their real and imaginary parts.

2. How do you convert from polar to rectangular form?

To convert from polar to rectangular form, you can use the following formulas:
Real part (x) = magnitude * cos(argument)
Imaginary part (y) = magnitude * sin(argument)
The resulting complex number will be in the form x + yi.

3. What is the purpose of converting from polar to rectangular form?

Converting from polar to rectangular form allows for easier manipulation and calculation of complex numbers. It also allows for a better understanding of the geometric properties of complex numbers.

4. Can you convert a negative angle to rectangular form?

Yes, you can convert a negative angle to rectangular form. The angle will be measured counterclockwise from the positive real axis, regardless of whether it is positive or negative.

5. How do you calculate the modulus and argument of a complex number in rectangular form?

To calculate the modulus of a complex number in rectangular form, you can use the Pythagorean theorem: modulus = sqrt(x^2 + y^2), where x is the real part and y is the imaginary part. To calculate the argument, you can use the inverse tangent function: argument = arctan(y/x), where x and y are the real and imaginary parts, respectively.