Counting proof of the addition rule

In summary, the given statement and equation show that when a system of subsets of a finite set are pairwise disjoint and their union is the whole set, the total number of elements in the set can be calculated by adding the number of elements in each subset. This is because each element is counted exactly once on each side of the equation, unlike in the case where the subsets are not disjoint. This can be easily understood by considering a simple example of counting the total number of boys and girls in a group, where each child is counted only once. This serves as proof for the given statement.
MI5
Let $ \left\{A_1, A_2, \cdots , A_n\right\}$ be a system of subsets of a finite set $A$ such that these subsets are pairwise disjoint and their union $A = \cup_{i=1}^{n}A_{i}$. Then

$ |A| = \sum_{i=1}^{n}|A_i|$. (1)

Proof: According to the hypothesis, each $a \in A$ belongs to exactly one of the subsets $A_{i}$, and therefore it counts exactly once on each side of equation 1.Could someone explain the bold bit (what's meant by it counts exactly once on each side of the equation) and why that counts as proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
If $A_1$ and $A_2$ are not disjoint, then we can't say that $|A_1\cup A_2|=|A_1|+|A_2|$. The right-hand side is greater because the elements from the intersection are counted twice: they are counted both as elements of $A_1$ and as elements of $A_2$. (Therefore, the correct formula is $|A_1\cup A_2|=|A_1|+|A_2|-|A_1\cap A_2|$.)

In contrast, in the statement you wrote each element is counted exactly once in both sides of the equation. It can't happen that some $x\in A_i$ and $x\in A_j$ if $i\ne j$, so $x$ will not be counted both in $|A_i|$ and $|A_j|$.

This fact is obvious to anybody who can count: e.g., the total number of children is the number of boys plus the number of girls. The only reason it is made into a proof is to create a contrast with the case where the sets are not necessarily disjoint and where counting is more complicated.

Fantastic explanation. Thank you.

Related to Counting proof of the addition rule

What is the addition rule for counting?

The addition rule for counting states that when two events are mutually exclusive, the total number of outcomes for both events is equal to the sum of the number of outcomes for each event individually.

How do you use the addition rule for counting?

To use the addition rule for counting, you first identify the two mutually exclusive events and then count the number of outcomes for each event. Finally, you add together the two numbers to find the total number of outcomes for both events.

What is an example of using the addition rule for counting?

For example, if you toss a coin and roll a die, the two events are mutually exclusive. The coin can either land on heads or tails, and the die can land on one of six numbers. Therefore, the total number of outcomes for both events is 2 + 6 = 8.

What is the difference between mutually exclusive and independent events?

Mutually exclusive events are events that cannot occur at the same time, while independent events are events whose occurrence does not affect the probability of the other event occurring. The addition rule for counting only applies to mutually exclusive events.

Can the addition rule for counting be extended to more than two events?

Yes, the addition rule for counting can be extended to any number of mutually exclusive events. The total number of outcomes for all events is equal to the sum of the number of outcomes for each event individually.