Collision response between two objects

In summary, the conversation is about a user needing help with simulating physics in a game they are working on. They are specifically looking for information on how to calculate the new speeds and rotations of objects after a collision. A link to a resource on conservation of linear momentum is provided, and another user offers to share their program in MATLAB for collision modeling.
Nils Schneider
Hello users,

I'm working on a game at the moment which needs some physics. I try to simulate two objects at the moment that are colliding in the air. I know the mass of both objects, the mass center point, the collision point, their current rotation and their current speed etc, all I need ( I think ).
But I don't know how to figure out what will be the new speeds of both objects and their new rotations.
Does someone know a good link where I can read something about it. I think my knowledge of math should be good enough to program a solution for it if I only know the right formulas. I've read already something about F, a, v, m and all that stuff and I know the basics, but I don't know where to use which formula. Any hints would be great.

Thanks!

Nils

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Nils,

I had to write a program which modeled the collision of a rotating 'barbell' and a surface.

If you know how to speak MATLAB, I'll be more than happy to send it to you. It's only 2D, and it doesn't include any friction effects, but it could help get you started.

1. What is collision response between two objects?

Collision response between two objects is the process of determining how two objects react when they come into contact with each other. This includes calculating the forces and movements that occur as a result of the collision.

2. How is collision response calculated?

Collision response is calculated using principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of momentum. The specific calculations may vary depending on the type of collision and the properties of the objects involved.

3. What factors affect collision response?

The factors that affect collision response include the mass, velocity, and shape of the objects involved, as well as the type of collision (e.g. elastic or inelastic). Other factors such as friction and external forces may also play a role.

4. Can collision response be predicted accurately?

Collision response can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy using mathematical models and simulations. However, there may be some variability due to real-world factors such as imperfections in the objects or environmental conditions.

5. How is collision response used in real-world applications?

Collision response is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion, and is applied in areas such as vehicle safety, sports equipment design, and video game development.