Counting Cosets: Clarifying Right & Left Cosets

In summary: Basically, what we need is a way to uniquely identify the cosets of $H$. We could try to do this by listing the elements of each coset, but that would be really tedious.
onie mti
i am reading a chapter on counting cosets and I am not sure i fully understand the theory behind right and left cosets. can i please be given clear descriptions perhaps with examples.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: counting cosets

onie mti said:
i am reading a chapter on counting cosets and I am not sure i fully understand the theory behind right and left cosets. can i please be given clear descriptions perhaps with examples.

You should post what you are specifically having difficulties with. Maybe give a problem which you can't solve.

Fermat said:
You should post what you are specifically having difficulties with. Maybe give a problem which you can't solve.

i am given that H is a subgp of G, list the coset of H, for each coset list the elements of the coset

G=s_3, H= {epsilon, beta, alpha}

onie mti said:
i am given that H is a subgp of G, list the coset of H, for each coset list the elements of the coset

G=s_3, H= {epsilon, beta, alpha}

I'm not sure on your epsilon, beta, alpha notation. $S_{3}$ is the set of permutations of the vector (1,2,3).

Let's pick a specific group, so we can be definite about this. To make things easier, we'll pick a rather small group.

Specifically, let:

$G = \{e,a,a^2,b,ab,a^2b\}$ where:

$a^3 = b^2 = e$, and the multiplication is given by the rule:

$ba = a^2b$.

Now we need to pick a subgroup, so let $H$ be the subgroup:

$H = \{e,b\}$.

Let's look at the left cosets first:

$eH = H = \{e,b\}$.
$aH = \{a,ab\}$
$a^2H = \{a^2,a^2b\}$
$bH = \{b,e\} = H$
$abH = \{ab,a\} = aH$
$a^2bH = \{a^2b,a^2\} = a^2H$

so we have 3 different (distinct) left cosets: $H,aH,a^2H$.

Now, let's look at the right cosets:

$He = H = \{e,b\}$
$Ha = \{a,ba\} = \{a,a^2b\}$ (see above)
$Ha^2 = \{a^2,ba^2\} = \{a^2,ab\}$

(because $ba^2 = (ba)a = (a^2b)a = a^2(ba) = a^2(a^2b) = a^4b = (a^3)(ab) = ab$).

$Hb = \{b,e\} = H$
$Hab = \{ab,bab\} = \{ab,a^2\} = Ha^2$
$Ha^2b = \{a^2b,ba^2b\} = \{a^2b,a\} = Ha$

Again, we have three distinct right cosets, as well: $H,Ha,Ha^2$.

But notice these are DIFFERENT sets than the left cosets, for while:

$eH = H = He$
$bH = H = Hb$

we have:

$aH = \{a,ab\}$ which has $ab$ as a member, whereas:

$Ha = \{a,a^2b\}$, which does not have $ab$ as a member.

Now this is bad news if we were planning on trying to define:

$(Ha)(Hb) = Hab$.

Let's look at what the set $(Ha)(Hb) = \{xy: x\in Ha,y \in Hb\}$ actually works out to be. We have 4 possible products:

$ae,ab,(a^2b)(e),(a^2b)(b)$, and working out what these are gives us:

$ae = a$
$ab = ab$
$a^2b = a^2b$
$(a^2b)(b) = a^2$

so $(Ha)(Hb) = \{a,a^2,ab,a^2b\}$ and this isn't even ANY coset of $H$ (all the cosets of $H$ have 2 elements, the same number of elements $H$ has, but this product set has FOUR elements).

Related to Counting Cosets: Clarifying Right & Left Cosets

1. What are cosets?

Cosets are a mathematical concept used in group theory. They are a set of elements that are obtained by multiplying a specific element in a group by all other elements in the group.

2. What is the difference between left and right cosets?

The main difference between left and right cosets is the order in which the elements are multiplied. In left cosets, the specific element is multiplied on the left side, while in right cosets, it is multiplied on the right side.

3. How are cosets related to subgroups?

Cosets are closely related to subgroups. In fact, cosets can help identify the number of distinct subgroups in a group. The number of distinct cosets of a subgroup is equal to the index of the subgroup in the original group.

4. Can all elements in a group be counted as cosets?

No, not all elements in a group can be counted as cosets. Cosets are formed by multiplying a specific element in a group by all other elements, so the number of cosets will always be less than or equal to the total number of elements in the group.

5. How are cosets useful in solving problems?

Cosets have many practical applications in mathematics, including in solving problems related to group theory, number theory, and abstract algebra. They can also be used to study the structure and properties of groups, and to classify and compare different groups.