Counterweight in An Elevator System

In summary, the elevator system discussed in the conversation includes a cabin of 2000 kg, a counterweight of 2220 kg, and a load of 550 kg. It moves at a constant speed of 1.75 m/s upwards, with a power output of either 5775 W or 44625 W, depending on whether the counterweight is taken into account. The textbook answer of 5775 W does not consider the work done by the counterweight, while the teacher's answer of 44625 W does.
physicsisgrea
An elevator system, includes a cabin of 2000 kg, a counterweight of 2220 kg and a load of 550 kg, moves at constant speed) of 1.75 m/s upwards. Find the power being delivered to the system including only the cabin and load. (Take g, acceleration of gravity = 10 m/s^2)

*The counterweight helps save energy, as the loss in G.P.E. itself goes to part of the gain in G.P.E. of the cabin and load.

The answer given by my textbook is 5775 W. However my teacher says it should be 44625 W, and I don't know which one is correct, please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsisgrea said:
The answer given by my textbook is 5775 W. However my teacher says it should be 44625 W, and I don't know which one is correct, please help me!
Your instructor failed to consider the work done by the counterweight. The wording of the problem is ambiguous: what does 'including only the cabin and load' mean? If they didn't want you to consider the effect of the counterweight, why mention it?

Related to Counterweight in An Elevator System

What is a counterweight in an elevator system?

A counterweight in an elevator system is a weight that is used to balance the weight of the elevator car and its occupants. It is typically located in the elevator shaft and is connected to the elevator car by a series of cables or ropes. The counterweight helps reduce the amount of energy needed to move the elevator car up and down.

How does a counterweight work in an elevator system?

The counterweight works by using the principle of counterbalance. As the elevator car goes up, the counterweight goes down, and vice versa. This helps balance the weight of the elevator car and its occupants, making it easier for the elevator motor to move the car. The counterweight also helps prevent the motor from working too hard, which can lead to wear and tear.

Why is a counterweight necessary in an elevator system?

A counterweight is necessary in an elevator system because it helps reduce the amount of energy needed to move the elevator car. Without a counterweight, the elevator motor would have to work harder to lift the weight of the car and its occupants, resulting in more energy consumption and wear on the motor. The counterweight also helps improve the overall efficiency and safety of the elevator system.

How is the counterweight calculated in an elevator system?

The counterweight in an elevator system is calculated based on the weight of the elevator car and its maximum capacity, as well as the weight of the cables or ropes and the counterweight itself. The goal is to have the counterweight be approximately equal to the weight of the elevator car and half of its maximum capacity. This ensures that the elevator system is properly balanced.

What happens if the counterweight is not working properly in an elevator system?

If the counterweight is not working properly in an elevator system, it can lead to imbalances and safety hazards. For example, if the counterweight is too light, the elevator car may become too heavy, making it difficult for the motor to lift and increasing the risk of accidents. On the other hand, if the counterweight is too heavy, the motor may have to work harder, resulting in more energy consumption and potential damage to the motor. Regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent counterweight issues in elevator systems.