Solve Complicated Partial Fractions Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of partial fractions, which is generally considered a calculus subject but has applications in simplifying rational integrals. The technique involves breaking up a rational function into simpler fractions using linear and irreducible quadratic factors. The conversation also provides tips and examples on how to solve problems involving partial fractions.
DavioSenBoo
Right, I'm gettin irritated by these :confused: , hehe, I need some expert quidance on how to do all kindsa questions with these, mainly the more complicated 1's where u can't just sub in values of x to get 0. Lotsa input will be appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Some examples, specifics will help

"partial fractions" is generally a calculus subject. Was there a reason for posting this under "linear and abstract algebra"?

Partial fractions themselves arent really even calculus at all! Integrating perhaps...

HallsofIvy said:
"partial fractions" is generally a calculus subject. Was there a reason for posting this under "linear and abstract algebra"?

Its not really a calculus technique, its simply a technique that has its major application in the simplification of rational integrals. However the technique of breaking up a rational function into partial fractions has no calculus involved whatsoever, its all algebra.

And yes specific examples of the problems giving you difficulty would be helpful to make us helpful.

I love partial fractions. Bring on some examples. :)

I love partial fractions. Bring on some examples. :)

Should I be worried? :frown:

Do we really need specific examples? There are only two kinds of factors that you can encounter: linear and irreducible quadratic. They may be varied, and they may be repeated, but there is a simple procedure for handling them.

Linear factors of the form (ax+b)m are treated as follows:

A1/(ax+b)+A2(ax+b)2+...+Am/(ax+b)m

Irreducible quadratic factors of the form (ax2+bx+c)n are treated as follows:

(B1x+C1)/(ax2+bx+c)+(B2x+C2)/(ax2+bx+c)2+...+(Anx+Bn)/(ax2+bx+c)n

Once you put all your terms in, you equate it to the original rational function and multiply both sides by the least common denominator. After that, the "brute force" way to do it would be to expand everything, collect like terms, and equate the coefficients of each power of x.

edit: fixed a superscript bracket

The above poster explained it well, remember the following too:

-Decide which form the partial fraction will take. Write out the constants/form next to the original sum and form a common denominator that matches the original fraction. You can then solve.
-Always factorise the bottom of the fraction first if at all possible.
-If the degree of the denominator is greater than the degree (highest coefficient of x) of the numerator this is an improper fraction and first you need to divide by the numerator, ie polynomial long division. Any remainder stays over the original denominator, the value you get from dividing can be written cleanly and seperately, without any denominator. The remainder may then be simplified into further partial fractions if applicable.

A few examples:

Linear factors in the denominator:
Eg:
(4x^3 + 2x^2 + 3x + 5) / (x+1) (x-2) would take the form A/(x+1), B(x-2)
Thus, A(x-2) + B(x+1) would = (4x^3 + 2x^2 + 3x + 5)
You can first let x = -1 to find A, then let x = 2 to find B.

Quadratic factors in the denominator:
Eg:
(x^2 - 5x + 1)/ (x^2 +1)(x-2) would take the form, (Ax+b)/(x^2 +1) + C(x-2)
Hence, (Ax+b)(x-2) + C(x^2 +1) = (x^2 - 5x + 1)
You could first let x =2, to find the value of C.
You would then substitute in the value of C and multiply out before equating the coefficients. A simultaneous equation may occur but this is easily solved.

Repeated factors in the denominator:
Eg:
2(x^2 - 2x - 1)/ (x+1) (x-1)^2 would take the form A/(x+1) + B/(x-1) + C/(x-1)^2
You can then solve as normal.

Hope this helps.

Also, you simply substitute in different values of x to make the result in brackets equal to 0. This normally cancels one or two of the constants and can greatly facilitate the process. As the partial fraction format is an identity it is true for any value of x.
For example, A(x-2) + B(x+1) = x, you would first cancel the A constant by making x=2, this would enable you to find B. You could then enter x=-1, in a similar manner.

1. What is the best approach for solving complicated partial fractions?

The best approach for solving complicated partial fractions is to first factor the denominator into linear or quadratic terms. Then, use the method of partial fractions to decompose the fraction into smaller, simpler fractions. Finally, solve for the coefficients using algebraic manipulation and substitution.

2. How do I determine the decomposition of a partial fraction?

The decomposition of a partial fraction can be determined by equating the numerator of the original fraction with the sum of the numerators of the decomposed fractions. This will create a system of equations that can be solved for the coefficients.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve complicated partial fractions?

While a calculator can be helpful for checking your work, it is not recommended to solely rely on a calculator for solving complicated partial fractions. The process of factoring and decomposition is essential for understanding the concept and developing problem-solving skills.

4. How do I know if my final answer is correct for a complicated partial fraction?

You can check your final answer by substituting the values of the coefficients into the original fraction and simplifying. If the resulting fraction is equal to the original fraction, then your answer is correct.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving complicated partial fractions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving complicated partial fractions include not fully factoring the denominator, incorrect setup of the equations for determining the coefficients, and careless errors in algebraic manipulation. It is important to double-check your work and be meticulous in each step of the process.