Solve Sin, Cos Problems for Math Exam Tomorrow

• Thread starter Warwick
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with math problems and asking for help. The problems involve trigonometric functions, specifically cosine and sine, and require the use of various formulas and identities. The student is seeking assistance in solving the problems before their upcoming exam.
Warwick
I'm doing a review for my math class and came upon some that I cannot figure out.I don't know why I cannot get the right answer. I know all the rules, I've had tests on this stuff and received A's but these are different for some reason and I don't know why. If anyone can do even one of them I would so greatly appreciate it! my exam is tomarrow :cry: thanks

let sin(x)=5/13, cos(x)=12/13, sin(y)=4/5 and y is in Quadrant II and 0<or=to x <2pi

81. sin(x-y)=____

83. sin 2x =___

84. sin x/2 =___

now the rules above don't apply to these below

85. sin(pheta)=2/3 and 0<pheta<90 then cos2(pheta)=___

86.sin(2cos^-1(1/4))=___

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Determine the cosine value of y:
You are given that y is in Quadrant 2, which means that the cosine value of y is negative (Agreed?)

In order to determine the cosine value of y, use the fundamental identity:
[tex] \cos^{2}y+\sin^{2}y=1.[/tex]
Knowing that the cosine value has to be negative, you should be able to figure out the answer.
2. 81,82,83:
Knowing the summation, double angle, half-angle formulae for the trigonometric functions should now give you the answers.
85:
[tex] \sin^{2}\theta=\frac{1-\cos(2\theta)}{2}[/tex]
4.86:
[tex]
\sin(2\phi)=2\sin\phi\cos\phi, \sin\phi=\pm\sqrt{1-\cos^{2}\phi}[/tex]

Hi there,

I understand your frustration and I'm happy to help you with these problems. Let's go through each one step by step:

81. To find sin(x-y), we can use the following formula: sin(x-y) = sin(x)cos(y) - cos(x)sin(y). Substituting the given values, we get: sin(x-y) = (5/13)(-4/5) - (12/13)(3/5) = -20/65 - 36/65 = -56/65.

83. To find sin 2x, we can use the double angle formula: sin 2x = 2sin(x)cos(x). Substituting the given values, we get: sin 2x = 2(5/13)(12/13) = 120/169.

84. To find sin x/2, we can use the half angle formula: sin x/2 = +/- √[(1-cosx)/2]. Since y is in Quadrant II, we know that cos(x) = -12/13. Substituting this into the formula, we get: sin x/2 = +/- √[(1-(-12/13))/2] = +/- √[(1+12/13)/2] = +/- √[25/26] = +/- 5/√26.

85. To find cos2(pheta), we can use the double angle formula: cos2(pheta) = cos^2(pheta) - sin^2(pheta). Substituting the given value, we get: cos2(pheta) = (2/3)^2 - (2/3)^2 = 4/9 - 4/9 = 0.

86. To find sin(2cos^-1(1/4)), we can use the inverse trigonometric function formula: sin(2cos^-1(x)) = 2√(1-x^2). Substituting the given value, we get: sin(2cos^-1(1/4)) = 2√(1-(1/4)^2) = 2√(1-1/16) = 2√(15/16) = √15/2.

I hope this helps you with your review and good luck on your exam tomorrow! Remember to always check your work and

What is the best way to approach solving sin and cos problems for a math exam tomorrow?

The best way to approach solving sin and cos problems is to first review the unit circle and trigonometric identities. Then, use the given information to set up the correct trigonometric equation and solve for the unknown variable.

What is the difference between sin and cos?

Sin and cos are both trigonometric functions, but sin is short for sine and cos is short for cosine. Sine represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while cosine represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

How do I know which trigonometric function to use?

The trigonometric function you should use depends on the given information in the problem. If you are given the length of the sides of a right triangle, you can use sine, cosine, or tangent. If you are given the angle measures, you can use inverse sine, cosine, or tangent.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving sin and cos problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert angle measures from degrees to radians. Another mistake is mixing up the trigonometric ratios for sine and cosine. It's also important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula.

How can I practice and improve my skills in solving sin and cos problems?

You can practice by solving various problems from your textbook or online resources. You can also create your own practice problems or work with a study group to solve problems together. Additionally, reviewing your mistakes and understanding the correct approach can help improve your skills.