Coulometric vitamin C Titration, pretty basic

• Thread starter Spirochete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the secondary coulometric titration of vitamin C involves applying a voltage to generate a current that oxidizes iodide to iodine. The iodine then oxidizes vitamin C and the excess iodine is detected by a starch indicator. The current flows from the voltage source to the anode, then to the cathode, and back to the voltage source. At the cathode, electrons are pulled from the iodide into the circuit while an equal number of electrons are delivered back into the solution. If the leads are reversed, the current will flow in the opposite direction as the electrons. This process is not spontaneous and the cell is an electrolytic cell. The electrode opposite the one where iodide is oxidized acts as an
Spirochete
These questions relate to the secondary coulometric titration of vitamin C. In this titration an applied voltage is used to generate a current that oxidizes Iodide to iodine. Iodine then oxidizes vitamin C. A starch indicator detects excess iodine via the formation of I3-

My questions are:

1) What direction does the current flow in this type of experiment? I would think from the voltage source, to the anode, then to the cathode then to the amperometer (sp?) then back to the voltage source?

2) What is happening at the cathode here? I know at the anode Iodide is oxidized. But I can't figure out what's going on at the cathode.

3) If the leads are reversed, what happens at the anode? No idea about this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrons are pulled from the iodide into the circuit while the same number of electrons are delivered back into the solution. The process is not spontaneous so the cell is not a galvanic cell but is instead an electrolytic cell. Remember, the current flows in the opposite direction as the electrons.

As to what happens at the electrode opposite the one where iodide is oxidized to iodine, you need to determine what, in solution, is available to accept an electron?

Hint: remember that this experiment is used to determine ascorbic acid.

I can provide answers to your questions about coulometric vitamin C titration.

1) In this type of experiment, the current flows from the voltage source to the anode, then to the cathode, and finally to the ammeter before returning to the voltage source. This is known as the conventional current flow direction.

2) At the cathode, reduction reactions occur. In this specific titration, the cathode is where the iodine is reduced back to iodide ions. This is necessary for the titration to continue as it regenerates the iodide ions needed for the oxidation of vitamin C.

3) If the leads are reversed, the anode becomes the cathode and vice versa. This would result in the reduction of vitamin C instead of the oxidation, which would not produce accurate results for the titration. Therefore, it is essential to ensure that the leads are correctly connected to maintain the correct flow of current and reactions at the anode and cathode.

I hope this helps clarify your questions about the coulometric vitamin C titration. Let me know if you have any further inquiries.

Related to Coulometric vitamin C Titration, pretty basic

1. What is Coulometric Vitamin C Titration?

Coulometric Vitamin C Titration is a method used to determine the concentration of vitamin C in a sample by using electricity to generate a known amount of iodine, which then reacts with the vitamin C in the sample. The amount of electricity needed to generate the iodine is directly proportional to the amount of vitamin C present in the sample.

2. How does Coulometric Vitamin C Titration work?

During the titration, a known amount of electricity is passed through a solution containing the sample and an excess of iodide ions. This causes the iodide ions to be oxidized to iodine, and the amount of electricity used is measured. The iodine then reacts with the vitamin C in the sample, and the remaining iodine is measured to determine the amount that reacted with the vitamin C. From this, the concentration of vitamin C in the sample can be calculated.

3. What equipment is needed for Coulometric Vitamin C Titration?

The equipment needed for Coulometric Vitamin C Titration includes a coulometer, which generates the electricity, and a titration cell, which holds the sample and iodide solution. Other necessary equipment includes a power supply, a burette, and a stirrer.

4. What are the advantages of Coulometric Vitamin C Titration?

Coulometric Vitamin C Titration has several advantages over other methods of vitamin C analysis. It is a fast and accurate method, with a low detection limit. It also does not require any expensive or hazardous chemicals, making it a safer and more cost-effective option.

5. What are the sources of error in Coulometric Vitamin C Titration?

There are several potential sources of error in Coulometric Vitamin C Titration. These include variations in the amount of electricity used, errors in measuring the sample and reagents, and interference from other substances in the sample. It is important to carefully calibrate and standardize all equipment and follow precise procedures to minimize these errors.