Coulomb's Law, Rearranging Equation.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation (Fe=Kc (q1*q2/r^2)) to calculate the distance between two electrostatic point charges (+60 microCoulombs and +50 microCoulombs) that exert a repulsive force of 175 N on each other. The person asks about rearranging the equation and using the square root to solve for the distance. The expert confirms that this is the correct approach and provides the simplified equation (R = √(Kc*q1*q2/Fe)) as the solution.
Syncert

Homework Statement

Two electrostatic point charges of +60 microCoulombs and +50 microCoulombs exert a repulsive force on each other of 175 N. What is the distance between the two charges?

Homework Equations

Fe=Kc (q1*q2/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to rearrange the equation, to get r^2 over to the other side of the equation. Do I have to square root both sides to figure this out?

Fe=Kc (q1*q2/r^2)
*r^2 * r^2

Fe*r^2 = Kc (q1*q2)
/Fe /Fe

R^2=Kc*q1*q2/Fe

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Syncert! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
Syncert said:
I know I need to rearrange the equation, to get r^2 over to the other side of the equation. Do I have to square root both sides to figure this out?

Fe=Kc (q1*q2/r^2)
*r^2 * r^2

Fe*r^2 = Kc (q1*q2)
/Fe /Fe

R^2=Kc*q1*q2/Fe

Yes, that's fine …

R = √(Kc*q1*q2/Fe) :smile:

Wow it was really that simple...thank you. =]

Related to Coulomb's Law, Rearranging Equation.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you rearrange the equation for Coulomb's Law?

The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, r is the distance between them, and k is the proportionality constant. To rearrange the equation, you can solve for any of the variables, depending on what information you have.

3. What is the significance of the proportionality constant, k, in Coulomb's Law?

The proportionality constant, k, is a value that depends on the medium between the two charged particles and is used to calculate the force between them. It is also known as the Coulomb constant and has a value of 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 in a vacuum.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be extended to calculate the force between any number of charged particles. The total force on a charged particle is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on it due to the other particles.

5. How is Coulomb's Law related to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation are both inverse square laws that describe the force between two objects. However, Coulomb's Law deals with electrostatic forces between charged particles, while Newton's Law describes the gravitational force between any two objects with mass.