Coulomb's Law lab , , it do tommorrow

In summary, the conversation is about a Coulomb's Law lab where the students are asked to charge a sphere on a block through induction and observe what happens when it is brought close to a suspended sphere. They are also asked to measure the force acting on the suspended sphere and identify three sources of error. The students discuss the equation Fe=mg*d/L and its relation to Fe and mg. They also discuss the use of the x-component of Fe and the graphing of force vs. radius. Finally, they discuss the balancing of forces for an electron placed near a fixed point charge.
Suy
Coulomb's Law lab , please help, it do tommorrow

Homework Statement

Here is the picturehttp://img407.imageshack.us/img407/933/48460315.jpg
Distance(cm) radius(cm)
0.2 1.4
0.4 1.4
0.8 1.35
1.0 1.35
1.2 1.3

This is the procedure:
Set up apparatus. Charge the sphere on the block by induction. Observe what happens to the suspended sphere as the charged sphere is brought close to it. Allow the suspended sphere to come into contact with the first.
Allow suspended sphere to return to rest position. Bring the furst sphere towards the suspended sphere again to make mesurements.

Homework Equations

Fe=mg*d/L
this is the equation that teacher gave us, but i don't understand this equation at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand the equation Fe=mg*d/L, why is it d/L(distance/length of string, right)
and why we don't use Fe=(kq1q2)/r2
Also, I need 3 source of error , not including human error,
but i have no clue what is it, it do tomorrow , if anyone can help me///

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Resultant of mg and Fe makes an angle θ with the vertical.
Draw the figure and find out what is d/L stands for and how it is related to Fe and mg.

rl.bhat said:
Resultant of mg and Fe makes an angle θ with the vertical.
Draw the figure and find out what is d/L stands for and how it is related to Fe and mg.

I still don't get it...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 361

If Fx and Fy are the components of a force F, and if θ is the angle between F and Fx, then tanθ = ?.

Untitled.jpg

is it right?, but how do u find y

Suy said:
View attachment 20684
is it right?, but how do u find y
I can't see the attachment.
If θ is very small, tanθ is nearly equal to θ, and d/L is θ.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3631/34175284.jpg
do you mean tanθ=(y/x)

No. The resultant of Fe and mg will be along the string of length L. In this position string makes an angle θ with the vertical and the suspended sphere displaced a small distance d, then tanθ = d/L = Fe/mg.

Can u draw a picture for me, i am confused...
sorry, but i really don't get it..

Sorry. I don,t know how to draw the picture. Anyway I will explain from your picture.
You have shown the separation of two positions of the suspended charged sphere as x or d.
In the equilibrium position of the sphere, F acts horizontally and mg acts vertically.
The relation between the length of the arc d, radius L and subtended angle θ is d = Lθ.

Fnially, thanks a lot,
now i understand what you mean,
since tanθ=F/(mg) and tanθ=d/(L), so F/(mg)=d/L, if i solve for F, F=mg*(d/L)
but i don't understand why do we use Fe x-component
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3631/341752

Where are we using Fe x-component?

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3631/34175284.jpg
this picture, i guess i am wrong..

i have 2 more question, the teacher asked to graph force vs r and straighten the graph,
Do i use 1/r2 ?
and F=mg*(d/L),
g=9.81m/s, or -9.81m/s?

a point charge of -0.35 nC is fixed at the origin. where must and electron be placed in order for the electric force acting on it to be exactly opposite to its weight?
To balance the force, mg=k(q1q2)/r2
q1=-0.35 nC
but i am not sure how to find q2 and the mass

Last edited:

I don't understand what he means by straighten the graph.
g = 9.8 m/s^2

You have that the weight of the electron is equal to the force between q1 and q2.
Mass of the electron and its charge is given in any book.

I think he wanted us to make a straight line, not a curve
i remember the relation between F and r is
The gravitation attraction force between two point masses is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of their separation distance.
is this same as electrostatics,because they have similar equation

to straighten your curve you have to use the inverse of radius sqaured (1/r2)

Related to Coulomb's Law lab , , it do tommorrow

What is Coulomb's Law and how does it relate to the lab?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. In the lab, we will be using this law to measure the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects.

What materials do I need for the Coulomb's Law lab?

You will need a charged object, such as a balloon or a charged rod, a ruler or meter stick, and a device to measure the force, such as a spring scale or a force sensor. You may also need a power supply to charge the objects.

What steps should I follow during the lab?

1. Set up the equipment and make sure everything is functioning properly.2. Charge one of the objects using the power supply.3. Measure the distance between the two objects using the ruler or meter stick.4. Use the force measuring device to measure the force between the two objects.5. Repeat the experiment for different distances between the two objects.6. Record your data and observations.

What are some potential sources of error in the Coulomb's Law lab?

Some potential sources of error include:- Inaccuracies in measuring the distance between the objects- Variations in the charge on the objects- External electric or magnetic fields interfering with the measurements- Human error in reading the force measuring device- Temperature or humidity affecting the materials used in the lab

What are the applications of Coulomb's Law in real-life?

Coulomb's Law has many practical applications, including:- Understanding the behavior of electric charges in circuits and electronics- Designing and operating electrostatic precipitators, which remove particles from air or gas streams- Calculating the force between protons and electrons in an atom, which allows us to explain chemical bonding- Predicting the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators, such as those used in medical treatments or research