Coulomb's Law & Gradient Function: Can Anyone Explain?

In summary, the conversation discusses Coulomb's law and the application of the gradient function to the formula 1/|x-x'|. The speaker is unsure of how the formula was transformed and asks for an explanation. The conversation then ends with a request for the computation of \nabla_{\vec{r}}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right) for the given values.
Pseudo Statistic
I was reading this ebook when I found Coulomb's law:
http://www.brokendream.net/xh4/elec.jpg
What I'm unsure of is how the gradient function applied to 1/|x-x'| is the same thing as |x-x'|/|x-x'|^3...
I know what the gradient function is but I'm totally lost as to how the formula was transformed that way..
Can anyone care to explain?
Thanks alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Compute

[tex] \nabla_{\vec{r}}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right) [/tex]

,for

[tex] r=:\sqrt{(x-x')^{2}+(y-y')^{2}+(z-z')^{2}} [/tex]

and

[tex] \nabla_{\vec{r}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \vec{i}+ \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \vec{j} +\frac{\partial}{\partial z} \vec{k} [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:

Coulomb's Law and the gradient function are both fundamental concepts in physics that are used to understand and describe electric forces. Coulomb's Law states that the magnitude of the electrostatic force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This is represented by the equation F = kQ1Q2/r^2, where F is the force, k is a constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

The gradient function, on the other hand, is a mathematical tool used to measure the rate of change of a function at a particular point. In this case, we are looking at the function 1/|x-x'|, where x and x' represent the positions of two charged particles. The gradient function of this function is represented as ∇(1/|x-x'|).

To understand how this relates to Coulomb's Law, we can rewrite the function 1/|x-x'| as |x-x'|^-1. Then, using the power rule for derivatives, we can find the gradient function as ∇(|x-x'|^-1) = -|x-x'|^-2∇(|x-x'|) = -|x-x'|^-2(x-x')/|x-x'| = -(x-x')/|x-x'|^3.

As you can see, this is similar to the expression in Coulomb's Law, where the distance between the particles is represented as r = |x-x'|. So, the gradient function is essentially measuring the rate of change of the electric force between two charged particles as their distance changes.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the relationship between Coulomb's Law and the gradient function. Both are essential in understanding and analyzing electric forces in physics.

Related to Coulomb's Law & Gradient Function: Can Anyone Explain?

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to the Gradient Function?

The gradient function is a mathematical tool that is used to calculate the rate of change of a function at a particular point. In the context of Coulomb's Law, the gradient function can be used to calculate the electric field at a specific point in space due to a charged particle.

3. Can you provide an example of how Coulomb's Law and the Gradient Function are used together?

Sure! Let's say we have two charged particles, one with a charge of +2 coulombs and the other with a charge of -3 coulombs, separated by a distance of 5 meters. Using Coulomb's Law, we can calculate the force between the two charges. Then, using the gradient function, we can find the electric field at a point in space due to the first charge.

4. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between two charges, k is the Coulomb constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

5. Why is Coulomb's Law important in physics?

Coulomb's Law is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electrically charged particles. It is essential in fields such as electromagnetism, electronics, and particle physics. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and functioning of atoms and molecules.