Coulomb Energy in the KI Molecule: Solving for Separation Distance

In summary, the ionization energy of potassium is 4.34 eV and the electron affinity of iodine is 3.06 eV. The question is asking for the separation distance at which the KI molecule gains enough Coulomb energy to overcome the energy needed to form K^+ and I^- ions. The Coulomb energy can be calculated using the equation E_n = -Z^2(13.6eV)/n^2, where Z is the atomic number and n is the principal quantum number. The values obtained for Coulomb energy are 3.06 and 4.34 eV for iodine and potassium, respectively.
mateomy
The ionization of potassium is 4.34 eV; the electron affinity of iodine is 3.06 eV. At what separation distance will the KI molecule gain enough Coulomb energy to overcome the energy needed to form the [itex]K^+[/itex] and [itex]I^-[/itex] ions?

I'm looking at the solution to this problem and I'm not understanding how they get the Coulomb energy. Is it just the
[tex]
E_n=\frac{-Z^2 (13.6eV)}{n^2}
[/tex]
equation? I'm not getting the same numbers they're getting so I think I'm confused on the definition of Coulomb energy. Can someone clarify it for me. I understand the Coulomb repulsion/attraction is what I've seen over and over again from electrostatics...but I don't see how to tie that into this problem. Specifically because I don't know the radius of the particular ions.

They're getting values of 3.06 and 4.34 eV

Please and Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ugh, nevermind. My brain is fried...I figured it out.

Related to Coulomb Energy in the KI Molecule: Solving for Separation Distance

1. What is Coulomb energy in the KI molecule?

Coulomb energy refers to the electrostatic potential energy between the positively charged potassium ion (K+) and negatively charged iodine ion (I-) in the KI molecule.

2. How is Coulomb energy calculated in the KI molecule?

The Coulomb energy in the KI molecule can be calculated using the formula E = (Q1 x Q2) / (4πε0r), where Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the ions, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the separation distance between the ions.

3. What is the significance of solving for the separation distance in the KI molecule?

The separation distance in the KI molecule affects the strength of the Coulomb energy between the ions. By solving for the separation distance, we can determine the stability and reactivity of the molecule.

4. How do you solve for the separation distance in the KI molecule?

The separation distance in the KI molecule can be solved for by setting the Coulomb energy equal to the total energy of the system and rearranging the equation to solve for r. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as calculus or algebra.

5. What factors can affect the Coulomb energy in the KI molecule?

The Coulomb energy in the KI molecule can be affected by the charges of the ions, the permittivity of free space, and the separation distance between the ions. Changes in any of these factors can alter the strength of the Coulomb energy and impact the stability and reactivity of the molecule.