Could use some help on these problems (average velocity)

In summary, a new member of the forum is seeking help with two physics problems. The first problem involves finding the total time and average velocity of a truck that starts from rest, accelerates, travels at a constant speed, and then decelerates to a stop. The second problem involves finding the minimum constant acceleration required for a Cessna aircraft to become airborne after a takeoff run of 240 m. Both problems were solved using equations and the correct answers were provided.
wtf_albino
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums:biggrin:

I just started AP Physics a few days ago and I'm having some trouble on the following problems:

1) A truck on a straight road starts from rest accelerating at 2.0 m/s^2 until it reaches a speed of 20 m/s. Then the truck travels for 20 s at a constant speed until the brakes are applied, stopping the truck in a uniform manner in an additional 5.0 s. (A)How long is the truck in motion? (B)What is the average velocity of the truck for the motion described?
__________________________________________________ ____________

For (A) I found the correct time to be 35 s.

For (B), I used the equation:

Average velocity = (Vo + V)/2

I set it up like:

V = [(0 m/s) + (20 m/s)] / 2

i came up with 10 m/s as my velocity which was wrong. I know this is kind of a multifaceted problem and I'm having trouble adjusting the equation accordingly. Can someone please point out my error and how i can solve this?

2) A cesna aircraft has a lift-off speed of 120 km/h. (A) What minimum constant acceleration does this require if the aircraft is to be airborne after a takeoff run of 240 m? (B) How long does it take the aircraft to become airborne?

For this problem i used the equation:

V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax

I set it up like:

(120 km/h)^2 = (0 km/h)^2 + 2(a)(.240 km)

i came up with 30,000 km/h^2 which doesn't sound right at all:confused:

Can someone please point out my error and how i am able to better approach this problem?

Help would be very much appreciated thanks!:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
wtf_albino said:
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums:biggrin:

I just started AP Physics a few days ago and I'm having some trouble on the following problems:

1) A truck on a straight road starts from rest accelerating at 2.0 m/s^2 until it reaches a speed of 20 m/s. Then the truck travels for 20 s at a constant speed until the brakes are applied, stopping the truck in a uniform manner in an additional 5.0 s. (A)How long is the truck in motion? (B)What is the average velocity of the truck for the motion described?

For (A) I found the correct time to be 35 s.
At 2 m/s2, its speed at time t is 2t m/s= 20 m/s so t= 10 s- that is, it take 10 seconds to reach a speed of 20 m/s. You are told that the truck travels at that speed for 20 s and then decelerates to a stop in 5 s. Yes, the truck is in motion for 10+ 20+ 5= 35 s.

For (B), I used the equation:

Average velocity = (Vo + V)/2

I set it up like:

V = [(0 m/s) + (20 m/s)] / 2

i came up with 10 m/s as my velocity which was wrong.
That's the average velocity while the vehicle was accelerating. It does not include the time at constant speed or while decelerating.

I know this is kind of a multifaceted problem and I'm having trouble adjusting the equation accordingly. Can someone please point out my error and how i can solve this?
Then do the different "facets". "Average velocity" is total distance traveled divided by the time. You have already determined that the time of motion was 35 s so you need to find the total distance traveled.

You can calculate the total distance traveled while accelerating in two different ways. Since the distance traveled, starting from 0 speed at constant acceleration a, is (1/2)at2, at 2 m/s2 for 10 seconds the car goes (1/2)(2)(10)2= 100 m. Or, as you calculated, since the car starts at 0 and accelerates up to 20 m/s, its average velocity was (0+ 20)/2= 10 m/s. At that average speed for 10 s, it goes 100 m.
Then the car went at 20 m/s for 20 s. It traveled 20(20)= 400 m in that time.
Finally, the car went from 20 m/s to 0, an average velocity of 10 m/s, for 5 seconds- it went 10(5)= 50 m while decelerating. That means the car went 100+ 400+ 50= 550 m in 35 s, an average velocity of 550/35= 15.7 m/s, approximately.

2) A cesna aircraft has a lift-off speed of 120 km/h. (A) What minimum constant acceleration does this require if the aircraft is to be airborne after a takeoff run of 240 m? (B) How long does it take the aircraft to become airborne?

For this problem i used the equation:

V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax

I set it up like:

(120 km/h)^2 = (0 km/h)^2 + 2(a)(.240 km)

i came up with 30,000 km/h^2 which doesn't sound right at all:confused:

Can someone please point out my error and how i am able to better approach this problem?

Help would be very much appreciated thanks!:biggrin:
I'm not certain about that formula. It may well be correct but I'm not familiar with it. Here's how I would do the problem: at constant acceleration a, after time t, the speed would be v= at and the distance traveled would be (1/2)at2. Here you have v= at= 120 km/h and x= (1/2)at2= .240 km. From at= 120, t= 120/a. Putting that into the second equation, (1/2)at2= (1/2)a(14400/a2= 7200/a= 0.24. Then a= 7200/.24= 30,000 km/h2. Yes, that is exactly what you got. If "two brilliant minds" get the same answer ... Of course, Knowing the intitial velocity= 0 and final velocity= 120, the average velocity is (0+120)/2= 60 km/h so the time required to go that 0.24 km is 0.24/60= 0.004 h= 0.24 m= 14.4 s.

thanks a lot for clearing that up for me halls, i really appreciate it :D

Related to Could use some help on these problems (average velocity)

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of an object's displacement (change in position) over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

While average velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, average speed only measures the magnitude of an object's motion. Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

3. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen for the displacement. A negative average velocity indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction.

4. How is average velocity represented graphically?

Average velocity can be represented on a graph by plotting the position of the object at different points in time and drawing a line connecting these points. The slope of this line represents the average velocity, with a steeper slope indicating a higher average velocity.

5. How is average velocity used in real life?

Average velocity is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It is used to analyze the motion of objects, determine the speed of moving objects, and make predictions about an object's future position. For example, average velocity can be used to calculate the average speed of a car during a race or to measure the velocity of a ball thrown by a pitcher in baseball.