Could there be a way to more easily release energy from atoms?

In summary, This thread is discussing potential future sources of energy and the role of quantum physics in energy production. There is a suggestion to explore the use of antimatter and a potential process similar to quantum entanglement for reorganizing particles into antiparticles. However, current physics theory does not provide a way to convert particles into antiparticles. The conversation also touches on the broad and specific applications of quantum physics in various industries. The experts are being asked for updates on any developments in this area and the current understanding of quantum physics in society. The idea is then opened up for further discussion on potential applications of this technology.
Who Am I
This thread is intended to ask the question about potential future sources of energy to experts, explain a few things and generate discussion about the future of energy and it's possible uses.

Nuclear power is great. But it requires a bulky apparatus and very specific materials.

Perhaps there is a way to release more energy from atoms with a smaller, more controlled apparatus.

The only way that we can easily release energy from atoms without bulky equipment is to collide it with antimatter. However, the problem is that antimatter production is inefficient (so unless we find another way to obtain it than particle accelerators, it won't be a good energy storage device), and you will most certainly not get more energy than you put in.

Because quantum physics is fairly new and counterintuitive, we may not know even 1% of the broad applications we could use quantum physics for (i.e. quantum computers for artificial intelligence), and we know far less about the specific applications (maybe something like medical technologies used to treat specific diseases).

What if there is a process that is similar--at least to a layman--to quantum entanglement that reorganizes the particles of an atom into its antiparticles? Or, what if there was a way to release the energy in atoms in a much more controlled way at the quantum level?

I'm asking the experts here if there are any developments on anything like the above paragraph, and asking how much of quantum physics that we understand as a society.

If it seems like a plausible idea, I'd like to open discussion up to applications of such technology.

Physics news on Phys.org
Current physics theory describes only two forms of atomic energy, fission and fusion. There is no theory for converting particles into antiparticles.

mathman said:
Current physics theory describes only two forms of atomic energy, fission and fusion. There is no theory for converting particles into antiparticles.

I figured as much. I was mainly wondering how plausible the possibility is.

Related to Could there be a way to more easily release energy from atoms?

1. What is the process of releasing energy from atoms?

The process of releasing energy from atoms is known as nuclear fission. This involves splitting the nucleus of an atom into smaller parts, which results in the release of a large amount of energy.

2. Is there a way to control the amount of energy released from atoms?

Yes, scientists have developed methods to control the amount of energy released from atoms through nuclear fission. This is achieved through careful manipulation of the fission process and use of control rods to regulate the rate of fission reactions.

3. Are there any risks associated with releasing energy from atoms?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with nuclear fission and the release of energy from atoms. These include radiation exposure, nuclear waste disposal, and the potential for accidents or meltdowns.

4. Can energy be released from atoms without using nuclear fission?

Yes, there are other methods of releasing energy from atoms without using nuclear fission. One example is nuclear fusion, which involves combining the nuclei of two atoms to form a larger nucleus and release energy.

5. What are the potential applications of easier energy release from atoms?

The potential applications of easier energy release from atoms are vast and include nuclear power generation, medical treatments (such as cancer therapy), and space propulsion. It also has the potential to greatly impact global energy production and reduce reliance on fossil fuels.