Could someone please explain to me the integral used to compute work done?

In summary, the integral to compute work done involves multiplying the vector F with the differential length dl, while considering the starting and ending points on the path. It is not related to moments in time. Examples can be found on various online resources.
WahooMan
I know the integral to compute work done is

(integral from a to b) F * dl

where F and l are vectors, but I don't understand how I would use that in a problem.

1. Are a and b moments in time?

2. What is dl? Is that the same thing as l2-l1? So would it be (integral from a to b) F(l2-l1) and just integrate that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: It would really be helpful if someone could provide a sample problem and explain how to do it that way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just remember that integration is MULTIPLICATION when one
of the factors is changing.
Since multiplication is nothing more than repeated addition,
you can see the reason for the S sigma as the symbol for integration.

With vectors it is a little more involved since directions are also must be considered
That is all

Related to Could someone please explain to me the integral used to compute work done?

1. What is the definition of work in terms of physics?

In physics, work is defined as the force applied on an object multiplied by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

2. How is work related to the integral used to compute it?

The integral used to compute work is a mathematical representation of the relationship between force and displacement. It calculates the total work done on an object by finding the area under the force-displacement curve.

3. Why is the integral used to compute work important?

The integral allows us to accurately calculate the work done on an object, taking into account any changes in force or displacement. It is a crucial tool in understanding and analyzing various physical systems.

4. Can you explain the steps involved in using the integral to compute work?

To use the integral to compute work, you first need to identify the force acting on the object and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. Then, you can set up the integral by integrating the force with respect to displacement. Finally, you can solve the integral and get the total work done on the object.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integral for computing work?

One limitation of using the integral is that it assumes a constant force over the entire displacement, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it may not account for other factors such as friction or changes in direction of the force. It is important to carefully consider and accurately apply the integral in different scenarios.